Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 Repair - Insurance only covering aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
CBRD is a downgrade, it doesn't fit, and takes MONTHS to get one.

CSF makes a stock replacement that is a great option.

Koyo, mishimoto, etc, are all downgrades as well, DO NOT purchase one of these.
I had not heard Koyo was considered a downgrade on these cars. Mishimoto on the other hand, doesn't surprise me. Is there info somewhere here on EvoM regarding the Koyo and the CSF?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
A koyo all aluminum radiator is not a downgrade.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
I installed an aftermarket radiator about 4 or 5 years ago. Works just fine and fit like stock. My only experience so far with aftermarket stuff. (Non performance)

sorry to see such a nice evo get hit! Even if it is just a fender bender.

when a branch fell on my hood, my insurance covered a new hood with paint and all. They said they couldnt find a used oem so they had to go new. Luckily i found an oem same color from a junkyard in florida for less than half of the check i was issued. That paid for my gsc cams
GOOD LUCK!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Can't find headlights....ughhh

Sigh....the latest issue is not being able to find a new OEM headlight for my non-hid 2005 evo 8. The shop got a right OEM replacement ordered but their sources could not come up with a left anywhere in the country. I am now digging to see what I can find but having no luck. Anybody know of a place I could get a new left OEM non-hid headlight or VERY lightly used? I hate the idea of getting a used one as it will likely be sun damaged or risk not matching the right.

The only thing I seem to find that is OEM is the JDM Evo HID lights but they are more expensive and I would need bulbs, wiring harness, leveling switch, other misc parts to make the conversion and instructions to how to make this happen....if it can be done.
Thoughts?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by WalkerWakaWaka
Sigh....the latest issue is not being able to find a new OEM headlight for my non-hid 2005 evo 8. The shop got a right OEM replacement ordered but their sources could not come up with a left anywhere in the country. I am now digging to see what I can find but having no luck. Anybody know of a place I could get a new left OEM non-hid headlight or VERY lightly used? I hate the idea of getting a used one as it will likely be sun damaged or risk not matching the right.

The only thing I seem to find that is OEM is the JDM Evo HID lights but they are more expensive and I would need bulbs, wiring harness, leveling switch, other misc parts to make the conversion and instructions to how to make this happen....if it can be done.
Thoughts?
I can look for the junkyard i bough my hood from if youd like. Its a seller on ebay from florida.
Believe me when i say i was VERY skeptical. But it shipped fast and the hood itself was in a wooden crate, so it was very well packaged. And it arrived with the exact blemishes they described and pictured.

i know most people dont even mess with ebay but i figured it was worth a shot being 1/4 of the price of a new hood.

STM also sells oem parts via a dealership partner. Ive ordered several oem parts from them with no issues whatsoever. You could also post a wanted ad on this site? Just my thoughts
Old Jan 2, 2019, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

I checked STM already and they only have the right housing also. If I go the direction of HID conversion, it will be $2700 for the US OEM housings and $1800 for the JDM but then I still have all the other hardware, bulbs etc.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What insurance company is this?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Esurance - which is Allstate now. From what I can tell, aftermarket instead of OEM is a pretty common practice...unless you specifically find a company that offers the option to request OEM and then the increase your premiums.

All-in-all they have been good. If the shop couldn't find the aftermarket that they thought we could, they have opted to cover the OEM.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 04:00 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
the insurance jargon for what you want is an "OEM Endorsement". This means the policy will cover new OEM parts, it does cost more and few companies provide it for older cars like ours. Quick short story, I was hit from behind in stop and go traffic. The other party accepted liability but their insurance wouldn't cover new OEM parts for the repair. So I had to have my insurance cover the repair and then my insurance billed their insurance for the cost.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Aren't the Evo 8 and 9 headlights the same. Are you saying no Evo 9 headlights either?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Excellent question. Doing some quick digging, I "think" the Evo 8 and 9 are interchangeable for the non HID but they do look slightly different with the reflective area being darker so I would need a pair. Can anyone confirm with certainty that I could put 2006 Evo 9 headlight assembly's (non-HID) as a bolt on to my 2005 Evo 8 and no other changes are needed?

Here are the part numbers for the 2006 headlight assembly that I got from a few sites for the NON-HID version.
8301A419
8301A420

Last edited by WalkerWakaWaka; Jan 3, 2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typos
Old Jan 4, 2019, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
CBRD is a downgrade, it doesn't fit, and takes MONTHS to get one.
Not sure what your experience was but I needed a rad quickly after my OEM one called it quits. I called Chad directly and literally had the package in my hands and installed perfectly all in less than 24 hours.

Cooling has not been an issue ever since the swap.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

The good news is that a dealer I called said that they have 11 left and right headlight assembly part numbers 8301A419 & 8301A420.....so, does anyone know if they are compatible. If looks are any indication, it sure seems so.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by WalkerWakaWaka
The good news is that a dealer I called said that they have 11 left and right headlight assembly part numbers 8301A419 & 8301A420.....so, does anyone know if they are compatible. If looks are any indication, it sure seems so.
Yes they are direct bolt on. They have a black chrome housing instead of a chrome housing. That’s the only difference.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Got my set ordered. THANK YOU GUYS!!!

Only partial regret now is that I ordered the 3.5" core ETS FMIC and I am reading about how I may get a little turbo lag and loss of performance since I am all stock. Probably should have gone with 3" to reduce the likelihood of this. Hopefully it isn't noticeable or I will be kicking myself.

I am going to start a new post on questions related to not having a tuner in AR and wanting to gain a little HP back through maybe an ECU flash and drop-in filter.