Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Failed smog in CA *PLEASE HELP*

 
Old Mar 21, 2019, 07:53 PM
  #61  
Evolving Member
 
Fox_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: HWY 9
Posts: 277
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj View Post
My sister used to live in a town that didn't require smog, but she wouldn't let me use her address. Now, smog isn't really my problem. I put on the cat and it passes fine. My issue is passing visual, at any other time. If an LEO decided to look under my car, right now, and see no cat, I'm busted, no matter where my car is registered. The car still has to meet smog requirements. Or so I'm told.
Just weld a heatshield onto your test pipe, I passed visual with it because I couldn't find an OEM for sale haha.

Edit: I need to read *all* the new replies before responding, seems a few others said the same thing lol.
Fox_IX is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:29 PM
  #62  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 10,475
Received 304 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX View Post
Just weld a heatshield onto your test pipe, I passed visual with it because I couldn't find an OEM for sale haha.

Edit: I need to read *all* the new replies before responding, seems a few others said the same thing lol.
That will work for the uneducated. My smog guy reads the serial or part number on the cat (so he says). He gets on his knees and checks the entire car with a flashlight. I definitely ain't passing visual with it.
kaj is online now  
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:56 PM
  #63  
Evolving Member
 
Fox_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: HWY 9
Posts: 277
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj View Post
That will work for the uneducated. My smog guy reads the serial or part number on the cat (so he says). He gets on his knees and checks the entire car with a flashlight. I definitely ain't passing visual with it.
Try to look for another shop if you can.
It's a fine balance between someone not so incompetent they'll fail you because the Evo never came from the factory with a turbo(this actually happened to me) and someone who actually cares about their job.
Look for reviews where people talk about how quick smog was. In and out is what you want.
Luckily the guy that passed me was an older dude who happened to he a Lancer enthusiast. Total stroke of luck, hopefully you can find someone who's a bit more lenient.
Fox_IX is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:15 AM
  #64  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 256
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX View Post
Try to look for another shop if you can.
It's a fine balance between someone not so incompetent they'll fail you because the Evo never came from the factory with a turbo(this actually happened to me) and someone who actually cares about their job.
Look for reviews where people talk about how quick smog was. In and out is what you want.
Luckily the guy that passed me was an older dude who happened to he a Lancer enthusiast. Total stroke of luck, hopefully you can find someone who's a bit more lenient.
I had a smog shop tell me the silver OEM intercooler pipes were aftermarket. Dude literally wagged a finger in my face. So then I upgraded to black aftermarket intercooler pipes and passed visual inspection. Would have been pointless to remind them that intercooler pipes aren't even restricted by CARB. Things really do get this stupid.

Since then I passed legit with a different shop 3 times in a row, although the first time it took several hours convincing him that the Evo 9 does in fact exist. No, Mitsubishi did not go from 8 to 10 like his book says they did.

Also here's one of the funniest photos I've ever seen. It's the last 100% stock Evo in California being inspected by a rocket surgeon. The confused dog in the window, the whole thing is a complete joke.


Last edited by Name User; Mar 22, 2019 at 12:20 AM.
Name User is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2019, 06:17 AM
  #65  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 10,475
Received 304 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX View Post
Try to look for another shop if you can.
It's a fine balance between someone not so incompetent they'll fail you because the Evo never came from the factory with a turbo(this actually happened to me) and someone who actually cares about their job.
Look for reviews where people talk about how quick smog was. In and out is what you want.
Luckily the guy that passed me was an older dude who happened to he a Lancer enthusiast. Total stroke of luck, hopefully you can find someone who's a bit more lenient.
My guy hassles me the least. The BAR has smog shops in my area so scared, they don't even want to do my car. I have to show them the hood sticker that shows the turbo/accessory routing, I've had to use Google to show my intercooler pipes are stock. I once took a salvaged Evo to get a brake and lamp inspection done. I could not convince the shop my tail lights were stock.

It's ridiculous.
kaj is online now  
Old Mar 22, 2019, 07:26 AM
  #66  
Newbie
 
unkn0wn.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: LA
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX View Post
Try to look for another shop if you can.
It's a fine balance between someone not so incompetent they'll fail you because the Evo never came from the factory with a turbo(this actually happened to me) and someone who actually cares about their job.
Look for reviews where people talk about how quick smog was. In and out is what you want.
Luckily the guy that passed me was an older dude who happened to he a Lancer enthusiast. Total stroke of luck, hopefully you can find someone who's a bit more lenient.
x2, you can def find someone a bit more lenient. As soon as I pulled up to my guy, all I said was " I already checked all the readiness monitors at work & they all pass " & he didnt even look he just plugged it in.
unkn0wn. is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:38 AM
  #67  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Pal215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,413
Received 155 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by whtrice View Post
I ran one of those too.....but if you get pulled over the smell is a dead giveaway...
Originally Posted by unkn0wn. View Post
Yep, you're right. We cant win em all /: *knocks on wood*

The good news about this is you can claim ignorance and just explain that the smell is because "you believe" the cat is going bad and needs replacement soon. This way it doesn;t look like you did it on purpose lol.


Originally Posted by Name User View Post
I had a smog shop tell me the silver OEM intercooler pipes were aftermarket. Dude literally wagged a finger in my face. So then I upgraded to black aftermarket intercooler pipes and passed visual inspection. Would have been pointless to remind them that intercooler pipes aren't even restricted by CARB. Things really do get this stupid.

Since then I passed legit with a different shop 3 times in a row, although the first time it took several hours convincing him that the Evo 9 does in fact exist. No, Mitsubishi did not go from 8 to 10 like his book says they did.

Also here's one of the funniest photos I've ever seen. It's the last 100% stock Evo in California being inspected by a rocket surgeon. The confused dog in the window, the whole thing is a complete joke.

That guy deserves to be punched in the face. I probably would have shown him OEM pictures of the car parts to his face immediately and refused to leave until he was educated. Someone that stupid doesn't deserve to be in that department.
Pal215 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:57 AM
  #68  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
MinusPrevious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Billings MT
Posts: 5,942
Received 818 Likes on 782 Posts
Yeah, his left hand gesture says it all

Likely a waste of time trying to explain away any non compliant issues to the Cop. They're not going to be getting on all 4's to check your CAT / TP.

Theyll just "Write Ya Up" & send you to the Ref & let them figure it out

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Mar 23, 2019 at 08:34 AM.
MinusPrevious is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2019, 08:50 PM
  #69  
Evolving Member
 
Fox_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: HWY 9
Posts: 277
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
Yeah, his left hand gesture says it all

Likely a waste of time trying to explain away any non compliant issues to the Cop. Their not going to be getting on all 4's to check your CAT / TP.

Theyll just "Write Ya Up" & send you to the Ref & let them figure it out
That annoys the **** out of me. My nearest ref is 2 hours away so on a whim an officer can just waste 6 hours of my life because he doesn't know any better.
Luckily I've never had any police question my modifications, but I'm just waiting for the day an overzealous chippie decides my stock-looking Evo is a Fast and Furious drift car.
Fox_IX is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2019, 09:03 PM
  #70  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 10,475
Received 304 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post

Theyll just "Write Ya Up" & send you to the Ref & let them figure it out

That is damned near an exact quote from a local CHP officer I spoke to.

They aren't required to know why they are writing you up. They just throw **** at the wall and see what sticks.
kaj is online now  
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:17 PM
  #71  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone else come across this ? what triggered the "data fail" ?
rinoz is online now  
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:34 AM
  #72  
Evolving Member
Thread Starter
 
evostanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Socal
Posts: 270
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rinoz View Post
has anyone else come across this ? what triggered the "data fail" ?
In my experience BAR was able to detect the tune in my ECU.

Solution: flash back to stock and make it look stockish...
evostanman is offline  
Old Jun 11, 2019, 01:06 PM
  #73  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evostanman View Post
In my experience BAR was able to detect the tune in my ECU.

Solution: flash back to stock and make it look stockish...
Was that just at a regular smog station ? Also did you use a different rom or just modified your stock rom ?
rinoz is online now  
Old Jun 15, 2019, 08:45 PM
  #74  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 15
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EDIT: I see they're now checking check sums.

I guess it's just waiting for the next round of tuner fixes.

Luckily, there's no more sniffer test

Last edited by MIL.SPEC Erik; Jun 15, 2019 at 09:07 PM.
MIL.SPEC Erik is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:24 PM
  #75  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 12,350
Received 725 Likes on 682 Posts
Originally Posted by MIL.SPEC Erik
EDIT: I see they're now checking check sums.

I guess it's just waiting for the next round of tuner fixes.

Luckily, there's no more sniffer test
I'm pretty sure the Racing guys that speak English have that fingered out.
letsgetthisdone is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.