Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How much power can evo handle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much power can evo handle

Hi I’m thinking of getting an eve 8-9 with big bhp probably around 600 or so. I’m wondering with a stroked engine, and rs rear diff and 5 speed box if the car would be able to handle that kind of power for a long time as it would be my daily driver, probably doing 75% normal driving 25% fast /abusive driving
. If needed what other components would I need to beef up the internals to make it last as I don’t want a new gearbox and diff every 10-15k miles haha, thanks all for any help
Old Jan 6, 2019, 05:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey Sean. Welcome

Not sure that dailying an EvO is the best course of action. Would rather see you use the EvO as your weekender

Sure you can build a 600whp motor but youve got to consider the downstream drivetrain components. The Trans / Front Diff & Rear Diff should be gone through / built, as well, prepping for the higher torque levels

There are those that will run high torque motors w/stock drivetrain components but it will not last, too long

Cheers, Joe
Old Jan 6, 2019, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey Sean. Welcome

Not sure that dailying an EvO is the best course of action. Would rather see you use the EvO as your weekender

Sure you can build a 600whp motor but youve got to consider the downstream drivetrain components. The Trans / Front Diff & Rear Diff should be gone through / built, as well, prepping for the higher torque levels

There are those that will run high torque motors w/stock drivetrain components but it will not last, too long

Cheers, Joe
hi joe, thanks for spending the time on the reply. I’ve dailied a 270bhp stock evo before and a 400bhp Impreza. I find it ok apart from the worries of someone scraping it when it’s parked up . Would you say a stock 5speed rs box would cope with that sort of power long or need to take it to a builder to build he gearbox aswell?

just copied the spec from the add, the car is 624bhp to the flywheel, can it cope using this spec would you think?

Uprated and rebuilt RS Rear diff
* 5 speed gearbox
* Brand new Xtreme twin plate clutch

thanks, thats all it says under the gearbox and diff section of mods on the add

firhot to mention torque 580ft lbs
Old Jan 6, 2019, 02:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Sure a stock drivetrain could handle some of the loads, as long as it was treated correctly (no tracking, no launching, etc)

But at 580ftlbs that is quite a bit where a built drivetrain is really in order IMO. And sure you can daily EvO. That was just coming from me where i could not imagine dailying my EvO (id be tired of it after a while) (all the NVH, clutching, no radio etc, 4 point harness haha)

I have a US RS, but the only thing it has above some other models is the front LSD