Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

JDM Evo 8 doesn't have Map sensor

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JDM Evo 8 doesn't have Map sensor

I recently just received all my bolt on parts and I​​​​​ just realized that my 03 Evo 8 doesn't have a map sensor... Ohoh

​​​​​​How's the tuner going to log boost without it? Or how is the car even running without a map sensor?
Can I easily add/wire up a map sensor on? If so, what do I have to do?

​​​​​On the USDM evos, you can easily spot the map sensor right on top of the intake manifold but in my case, no bueno 🤦*♀️

HELP!

Old Jan 6, 2019, 09:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
This thread may get you started

https://www.lancerregister.com/showt...jdm+map+sensor
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

Thanks, so pretty much i just have to run 3 wires from the map sensor to the ecu (pin 73, 81 and 92) and drill a hole on the that port where the map sensor is suppose to be?

im a evo noob atm so, just to clarify, theres no way to log boost if i dont have a map sensor? also what about tuning wise, car cant be tune without it?

thanks for your help 🙏

Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by palaBoost
Thanks, so pretty much i just have to run 3 wires from the map sensor to the ecu (pin 73, 81 and 92) and drill a hole on the that port where the map sensor is suppose to be?

im a evo noob atm so, just to clarify, theres no way to log boost if i dont have a map sensor? also what about tuning wise, car cant be tune without it?

thanks for your help ��
Can't log boost but you couldn't really with 03-05 USDM evos either because the MAP Sensor would max out. You can still tune the car no problem, just would need to use the normal factory load-target system.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Can't log boost but you couldn't really with 03-05 USDM evos either because the MAP Sensor would max out. You can still tune the car no problem, just would need to use the normal factory load-target system.
Right cuz USDM evos come with 1bar MAP sensor but in my case, is it safe to say that theres no such thing as "maxing out" because there isn't a map sensor in play?

and also like im still on the stock 8 turbo, not as much boost is present but when I get all the bolt on parts installed i want to be running around 23-25psi of boost and this is where i would need a map sensor, correct?

Thanks!

Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by palaBoost
Right cuz USDM evos come with 1bar MAP sensor but in my case, is it safe to say that theres no such thing as "maxing out" because there isn't a map sensor in play?

and also like im still on the stock 8 turbo, not as much boost is present but when I get all the bolt on parts installed i want to be running around 23-25psi of boost and this is where i would need a map sensor, correct?

Thanks!
No you don't need a MAP sensor to do any amount of boost. The tuner can still tune via load-target like it is from the factory. If you want a PSI-target tune then yes, you need a 3-bar MAP sensor
Old Jan 6, 2019, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
No you don't need a MAP sensor to do any amount of boost. The tuner can still tune via load-target like it is from the factory. If you want a PSI-target tune then yes, you need a 3-bar MAP sensor
I see! Thank you very much sir(s)!