Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cross Member Corrosion recall SR-16-003

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Member Corrosion recall SR-16-003

Hello Forum, new 2005 MR owner here. Contacted dealer regarding airbag replacement (had never been done/car in storage) to learn that there is a recall for cross member corrosion. I do not suspect this car has an issue, but not happy that the procedure calls for drilling holes in the current cross member to inspect. Was also informed that if the car "fails" inspection that they will keep it until it can be repaired.

I tend to avoid dealers like the plague and wonder what others experience is with this recall. Should I be worried?

Anyone just deactivate the passenger side airbag and call it good?

Thanks,
Mike
Old Jan 14, 2019, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I’m also curious about the cross member recall. I haven’t adressed the issue on my viii and also despise stealerships. Anyone on here had the cross member recall done?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 07:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hi Mike / Welcome

If you search " CrossMember " & Cross Member w/a space, there are a few threads discussing the recall.

Regarding the air bag recall, yes we have explored all the options, here on the boards

I disconnected mine for approx 5 years & my Wife convinced me to finally get it done

Luckily we have a solid dealership who had a lot of experience w/this. The whole dash has to come out

They did a great job!!

Joe
Old Jan 26, 2019, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I had both recalls done on my car last year. For the airbag recall, they'll have to remove the entire dash. For the cross member, they'll likely respray the cross member with an anti-corrosion coating (really thick paint) if they find light corrosion. Suggest that you require them to remove the entire cross member from teh car if they're going to spray it or else you'll end up with overspray all over the bottom of your car surrounding the cross member. They will push back hard because removing the cross member is a PITA and can require a new alignment depending on how its done.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 04:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
From what I understand they have to drill a hole in specific spots to see if the rust damage is sufficient to replace it. Else they just recoat it. I'd also suggest you have them remove it if they decide to coat it, you cant adequately re-coat it if you dont take it down either. The top side where the steering rack mounts would need to be coated as well.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 04:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Also if you can get under the car to inspect it, if the rust isnt bad and only surface rust, you can remove it and recoat it yourself and likely have a better result than what the dealership would do. I just redid mine with POR15.

Old Jan 27, 2019, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Also if you can get under the car to inspect it, if the rust isnt bad and only surface rust, you can remove it and recoat it yourself and likely have a better result than what the dealership would do. I just redid mine with POR15.

Looks great! decided to hold off on dealership visit as I don't want them messing with the car. cross member should be fine and unplugged passenger air bag. thanks