Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VII - P0340 - Car wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Evo VII - P0340 - Car wont turn on

So last Friday i was at my business, i went out sit on my Evo VII and turned on, it turn on with a misfire and after 5 seconds it shut down. after several attempts of turn it on, it was with no hope. the smell of gasoline was there telling me the engine is flooded. i push the car like half mile to my house. Next day i woke up and start working on the car, i remove the spark plugs to confirm it was flooded, the spark plugs were totally black and wet (no oil). a friend of mine tell me to give it full throttle and try to start the car. the car started with a huge misfire and now the CEL was on. P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit.

This is present day, now lets recap what happen a month ago.

My clutch die, so i took it to a workshop. after replace the clutch my mechanic/tunner went to turn on the car, and the same exact thing that is happening to me right now (with the same DTC also), happen back then. the car turn on normally.. after 2-5 seconds it shut down by itself, back then we test 3 Camshaft Sensor, 2 Crankshaft sensor, 1 maf sensor, 2 OEM ECU without luck. i personally test continuity between the Camshaft Sensor and the ECU, 12v was there, Ground was there, and the signal was there. after a couple of days trying to start the car. it start and stay on.. and we don't know why.

The only thing that happen in common between this 2 events, were that the battery cables was remove both days, last Friday the cable on my + pole of the battery was loose. i fix it but the car start to act weird, RPM were oscillating between 1500-2000 RPM my tunner says it was normal because the ECU has to relearn the trims levels.

Can anyone help me what to do ? The evo is a Evo VII GSR JDM 2003
Old Feb 4, 2019, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afol2
So last Friday i was at my business, i went out sit on my Evo VII and turned on, it turn on with a misfire and after 5 seconds it shut down. after several attempts of turn it on, it was with no hope. the smell of gasoline was there telling me the engine is flooded. i push the car like half mile to my house. Next day i woke up and start working on the car, i remove the spark plugs to confirm it was flooded, the spark plugs were totally black and wet (no oil). a friend of mine tell me to give it full throttle and try to start the car. the car started with a huge misfire and now the CEL was on. P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit.

This is present day, now lets recap what happen a month ago.

My clutch die, so i took it to a workshop. after replace the clutch my mechanic/tunner went to turn on the car, and the same exact thing that is happening to me right now (with the same DTC also), happen back then. the car turn on normally.. after 2-5 seconds it shut down by itself, back then we test 3 Camshaft Sensor, 2 Crankshaft sensor, 1 maf sensor, 2 OEM ECU without luck. i personally test continuity between the Camshaft Sensor and the ECU, 12v was there, Ground was there, and the signal was there. after a couple of days trying to start the car. it start and stay on.. and we don't know why.

The only thing that happen in common between this 2 events, were that the battery cables was remove both days, last Friday the cable on my + pole of the battery was loose. i fix it but the car start to act weird, RPM were oscillating between 1500-2000 RPM my tunner says it was normal because the ECU has to relearn the trims levels.

Can anyone help me what to do ? The evo is a Evo VII GSR JDM 2003
It turn out to be that 4 tooth from the crankshaft where offset from it standar point, the car rolled back with 1st gear on didn't know that this can cause that.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
A rare event but more likely if the tension is incorrect.