Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying a sitting evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a sitting evo 8

I am purchasing a friends evo 8 that has been sitting for the past 2 years. He went to have it tuned before he parked it and i had low compression in cylinder 3. I am planning on doing a whole internals upgrade along with turbo,intercooler,intake,exhaust, along with some body work to fix some rot. I will be towing the car to my house but what should i do in order to even get it running. I figure oil change and new battery and then dumping the fuel and checking the rest of the fluids to make sure they arent empty but is there something else I am forgetting. Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Alright
Youre getting into the motor so the Trans, Front T-case & the rear end oils need to be done as well
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
but what should i do in order to even get it running
Without knowing what exactly is wrong with it we could not give you a good answer. First thing to do is a compression and leak-down test, but you can't really do that accurately unless the engine is up to temp first. The general check list for a stagnant car is: New fuel, oil and filter, new battery, new spark plugs, new air filter and then check your timing marks. Do that and see if the engine starts first. If you change the transmission oil, transfer case oil, and rear diff fluid, you will be dumping the first two when you inevitably pull the motor to rebuild it.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'd approach this with caution. Buying a used car from a friend can cost a friendship. Maybe tell him you'd like to get it running, do a little testing, maybe drive it. Then if it is still something you want, then talk money.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like a expensive project already, do you have the money and time and space to get it done?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Are you getting the car at friend pricing? What are the details with the car? Year? Model? Mileage? You mentioned rot, but how bad is it and where has the car sat for two years? Inside a garage or in a field?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 05:54 PM

car is an 03 with 140000 on it i am getting it with all his parts he was planning on installing including evo ix 20g and bilstien shocks. Car has been sitting in his parents yard and in New Hampshire so the rot/rust is from the snow. He is selling it to me for $6000 and im ready to put another $4000 worth of parts and sweat. I want this to be something i can say that i rebuilt myself.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Get under the car and make sure the rust doesn't go deeper than you think. A bit of rust on the body may mean tons where you can't see it. Idk if I'd spend that much effort trying to save a car that's already completely rotted out.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 07:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Are you going to be building the engine yourself? $4k doesn't go far in a rotted car that has low compression even if you do your own work.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by terror rising
Are you going to be building the engine yourself? $4k doesn't go far in a rotted car that has low compression even if you do your own work.
pretty much. tread with caution here dude. i admire the want to fix the car up but sometimes it turns out to be more than you imagined. plus buying from a friend could get hairy.

careful here.