Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car cuts out power at high rpm, random stalling

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car cuts out power at high rpm, random stalling

Hello guys, I have done quite a bit of research on this issue but I'd like your input anyway in case some of you have experienced it. I have a 2001 Evo 7 and from the moment we drove it home, we have experienced random stalling.

The night we took it home, it kept stalling and it had to be jumped at least over 10 times that night. We let the car run to charge the battery and we got it home safely. The battery has since been replaced but the issue is still there, though a little less stalling now.

We've tested the battery with a load, without, and the alternator with a multimeter and it seems fine.

We drove it on the high way and at wot, the car cuts out power.

We drove it on city streets and after a few minutes of driving, it likes to stall; rpms drop and the car dies.

I don't think there's any single condition that leads to stalling- it does it randomly, but it starts 100% of the time.

I noticed I don't hear the fuel pump priming at "on" position.

Could this be the fuel pump? Should I check anything else?

I'm thinking about replacing the fuel pump, ignition switch, then go from there.

Thanks.