Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Taking out rad when it's cold to pull the head

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Taking out rad when it's cold to pull the head

I live in Canada and at this time of year it gets down to about -10°C during the night. Just wondering if it'd be okay to drain out the coolant and pull the rad out to get the head off when its cold. The fact that I'll be draining the coolant off and taking off the head, the rest of the engine will be left like so for maybe about a couple of days with no coolant present until I get the head back from the machine shop

Any inputs?
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Mar 20, 2019, 04:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
If the car, radiator, and cylinder head are covered or stored indoors you have nothing to worry about. You actually have a higher risk of cracking the block if you left plane water in it instead of coolant and placed it outside, but that's what the freeze plugs are for. Since you are draining the coolant, removing the rad, and pulling the head, there shouldn't be any concern. Just keep things clean, dry, and as organized as possible.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what PAL said ^^^