Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 Steering rack problem

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Steering rack problem

Heya!

I’ve dropped my subframe due to engine renovation, and now putting it back together. But I’ve came across a problem, when I removed the “hub” from the steeringrack (down at the pedals) I had to use a little force with a crowbar (I marked it and removed the m8 bolt first)
but now I can’t get it back on for some reason, feels like it’s to short, I can get it on those upper splines but can’t get it to slide down to the lower ones. Anyone got any ideas?

Kind regards, biro
Old Apr 28, 2019, 05:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
@Biro Heres the manual for the EvO9. There are some cautions noted that maybe the cause of this issue

See here:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GR00004300-37.pdf (2.42 MB, 0 views)

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Apr 28, 2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 06:15 AM

Thank you for that manual, I’ve already looked trough it tho but I don’t get any more clever haha. I haven’t released the tilt mechanism anyhow, but it seems like I have to get that clip off to manage to get it on? Or am I wrong, since I had to use some force to get it off :/

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
@Biro Heres the manual for the EvO9. There are some cautions noted that maybe the cause of this issue

See here:
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The clip the factory used is a two man install I learned the hard way. I substituted a worm drive hose clamp.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Using a pair of pliers clamp the clip on the steering column. Then pull out the inside shaft till it mates up with the steering rack shaft.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
Using a pair of pliers clamp the clip on the steering column. Then pull out the inside shaft till it mates up with the steering rack shaft.
yep... this.

if you hold the clip, open, it takes the tension off the splines and will let you slide it down
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:39 AM

Thanks once again guys!
It worked great and i manage to get it back on.

But i noticed that my steering gear box is off alignment
can turn like 1 turn to the left, and 2 or more to the right. Anyone got any idea how to measure the center to get the alignment “ok” until I can drive it to a shop for a proper 4wheel alignment?

Originally Posted by hutch959
yep... this.

if you hold the clip, open, it takes the tension off the splines and will let you slide it down
Old Apr 29, 2019, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Get the front wheels as straight as possible, then pull and do again with steering wheel straight. Hopefully, when off you left the steering wheel locked. Otherwise, you may find the clock spring breaks and needs replacement (no horn).

Last edited by barneyb; Apr 29, 2019 at 09:53 AM.