Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 Lifter Tick or Wrist Pin Knock or Spun bearing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Evo 8 Lifter Tick or Wrist Pin Knock or Spun bearing?

Hello Everyone, this is my very first evo and my very first post here.
So basically i bought an evo a few months ago and planned to upgrade it with a bigger turbo, intercooler, injectors etc etc.
but then later on i decided to build my motor.
So now im currently running a Whalen Speed Block with a MA performance Built Head.

I got my car tuned on pump gas a week ago and now it was time to get it tuned on E85.
But as we were leaving the shop from where i get my work done they said they're hearing a ticking noise coming from the engine and sadly we could not get in tuned they said that it might be a big issue and donot risk it.
2 days later i told them to inspect the car and i did all my research and according to me it was the lifters that were ticking.
But the mechanic said that it is the wrist pin on the pistons that is making this ticking sound and we will have to do a rebuild and go for new pistons etc etc.

I was super frustrated as i had just built my car and did not even drive it once or twice and this happened.
Please have a look at this video and let me know what you guys think.

According to my tuner who watched this video said that this is lifter noise and take them out bleed them and put them back.
but the mechanic says this isnt lifter tick or rod bearing this is wrist pin knock.

I'm really really worried as i just spent so much money on my build and did not even drive it properly and this happend.
I'm using GSC zero tick lifters at the moment.

MY HEAD WAS BRAND NEW BUT MY BLOCK WAS ALMOST 1000 miles driven i bought it used from a friend.

I can upload a complete specs sheet of my car if you guys want it.

Please help me, i will be really grateful.

Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 03:39 AM

Here is the video please have a look.

Old Oct 1, 2021, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornjuiceevo
Hello Everyone, this is my very first evo and my very first post here.
So basically i bought an evo a few months ago and planned to upgrade it with a bigger turbo, intercooler, injectors etc etc.
but then later on i decided to build my motor.
So now im currently running a Whalen Speed Block with a MA performance Built Head.

I got my car tuned on pump gas a week ago and now it was time to get it tuned on E85.
But as we were leaving the shop from where i get my work done they said they're hearing a ticking noise coming from the engine and sadly we could not get in tuned they said that it might be a big issue and donot risk it.
2 days later i told them to inspect the car and i did all my research and according to me it was the lifters that were ticking.
But the mechanic said that it is the wrist pin on the pistons that is making this ticking sound and we will have to do a rebuild and go for new pistons etc etc.

I was super frustrated as i had just built my car and did not even drive it once or twice and this happened.
Please have a look at this video and let me know what you guys think.

According to my tuner who watched this video said that this is lifter noise and take them out bleed them and put them back.
but the mechanic says this isnt lifter tick or rod bearing this is wrist pin knock.

I'm really really worried as i just spent so much money on my build and did not even drive it properly and this happend.
I'm using GSC zero tick lifters at the moment.

MY HEAD WAS BRAND NEW BUT MY BLOCK WAS ALMOST 1000 miles driven i bought it used from a friend.

I can upload a complete specs sheet of my car if you guys want it.

Please help me, i will be really grateful.

Thanks.
Don't sound like lifters tick... If this is what the mechanic said is the issue I would follow his advice.

Old Oct 1, 2021, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Hey, sorry man that really sucks. Hugely disappointing after getting it all together. It's hard to tell from the video what it might be. I don't think it is lifter tick either.

I suggest ruling out all the stuff that's easier to access first before getting deep into the engine. You can isolate accessory components (AC, PS, Alternator) first. Temporarily remove the belt, then run the engine and listen carefully. Be ready- you only have a few minutes safely without killing the battery. If the noise remains, then you can move onto the timing components. Some people have had noise from the t-belt area related to the tensioner, and others have had noise coming from the "Front Mount Bracket" p/n 1091a133

Look at this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-video-42.html
Old Oct 2, 2021, 03:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like the lifters to me, repetition is consistent with valvetrain noise. GSC zero ticks are pretty well known for ticking, regardless of the name lol.

Throw some Topline lifters in it, or try bleeding the current ones.

Edit: I'm really not sure how the others in this thread think it's not valvetrain, unless my speakers don't pick something up in that video, it's almost 100% head noise, minus the belt/pulley squeal.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Project_Broke
Sounds like the lifters to me, repetition is consistent with valvetrain noise. GSC zero ticks are pretty well known for ticking, regardless of the name lol.

Edit: I'm really not sure how the others in this thread think it's not valvetrain, unless my speakers don't pick something up in that video, it's almost 100% head noise, minus the belt/pulley squeal.
I was watching some combat on DCS where people were chasing planes all over the sky that I couldn't see. When I commented on this it was explained to me that that was due to how youtube compresses the file. So, it makes me wonder what that does to the sound.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Project_Broke

It's louder and more knocky then lifter... Sounds more like rods banging with pistions 🤷
Old Oct 3, 2021, 03:27 AM

Its making noise when its fully warmed up.
on a cold start its perfectly fine.

i can post more videos if those could come to any help.

i trust my mechanic but just taking different opinions for my own personal satisfaction.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 03:32 AM

😔 😔

Last edited by Cornjuiceevo; Oct 3, 2021 at 03:40 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 03:39 AM

Warm Engine.

P.S. The car runs absolutely fine, oil pressure, afr everything is normal.

Old Oct 3, 2021, 03:40 AM

Cold Start.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 12:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
This sounds like lifter tick and injectors doing their job. Rod knock is deeper and more pronounced. Nothing to worry about here at this time.
The following users liked this post:
Cornjuiceevo (Oct 3, 2021)
Old Oct 3, 2021, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Listen to this while he revs it, That's rod knock:

Old Oct 4, 2021, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I listened to the 1st video again. This time on better speakers instead of laptop speakers. There are two different noises- the ticking/tapping sound, and another sound that is higher pitched. For the higher pitched sound, I don't think you're worried about it but that's what I was referring to in my previous post.

For what it's worth, I don't think it sounds like a bad wrist pin- Those sound pretty similar to a bad (big end) rod bearing. And I agree with the above, your sound definitely doesn't sound like a bad rod bearing.

This car has a pretty noisy valvetrain. Listen to the video between 2:34 and 2:44. If there was a major bottom end issue, you would think this engine would have let go long before that video was filmed.

You might take a look at these two videos also. Comments from the owners are interesting on both. One guy, sounds like no big deal, the other guy, his bottom end was toast and the noisey lifters were a symptom of a much bigger problem...bearing material fragged the lifters.

Old Oct 5, 2021, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
If I was you, I would bleed all the liters first before moving on with any serious overhauling. Drain the oil and see if there are any metal shavings as well. I had a very similar issue to this which had caused my to swap my short block, and the noise didn't go away.

Again. I would bleed all the lifters first.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Lifter Tick or Wrist Pin Knock or Spun bearing?