Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

devastated

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
devastated

I am absolutely devastated...

I just got my baby back from Buschur almost 2 weeks ago to the day and last night I hurt her really bad.

Get this, I was parked in a parking spot. I went to pull out of the spot but instead of backing out I decide to drive out forwards. Which would not have been a terrible decision except for the fact that there was a conceate parking barricade in front of me. So I release the clutch and BAM - I hit the barricade. I did not run over it mind you just bumped into it from a dead stop only moving about a foot.

Well this little bump drove the tow bar into my brand new Buschur front mount intercooler greating a big hole. Not to mention the damage done to the front bumper and lip.

See pictures below...

-Doug
Attached Thumbnails devastated-intercooler.jpg  
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

depressing...

Ok, so my buddy and me, well actually my buddy I was devistated and just basically watched and cried a little, took off the front bumper and took out the Buschur frount mount intercooler.

more pictures...
Attached Thumbnails devastated-engine.jpg  
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

another picture

still depressed...
Attached Thumbnails devastated-bumper.jpg  
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Ouch, I did that in my old Ford Contour SE luckily there was no damage. Sorry man.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Ouch...
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Next we go to Mitsubishi and order an new front bumper, front bumper clip, and several little attachment parts. Total comes to around $750. Not sure if that is painted or not, they could not guarantee that so may be more. It should be here by Tuesday of next week (today is Friday so not bad at all).

Now for the intercooler. I have a call into Buschur to see how soon they can send me a replacement front mount intercooler. It is looking like they will not be able to make it and send it out until Wednesday of next week. So with shipping time I am looking at the week after that to get it.

Did I mention that this is my only car....and that it will not drive with a hole in the intercooler. I learned today that air is very important and the car will just not run without it. I also learned that one little hole in a huge intercooler can knock the entire car out of comission.

Oh the bright side - I still had my stock intercooler. whew - glad i kept that laying around.... After removing some of the Buschur piping and reinstalling some of the stock piping we got the stock intercooler back on the car. Then we reatached the front bumper minus the front lip. It broke all the fasteners when it hit so that part was not usuable.

It did not turn out terriable... The fit is not perfect, it has some gaps here and there, but then again it is missing the entire bottom lip to help hold it snug. So it looks OK and it runs...

Now all I have to do is go drive it on the highway some to get all the soot out of it. I mean to tell you it was poring out of my tail pipe when we started it up. All over the garage and everything. Black soot everywhere. So I am now off to go blow all that out of my engine and exhaust.

-Doug
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that bites sorry man accidents happen...
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

man, that hurts in every way, emotionally, physically, in the pocket........

sorry to hear and see that man..
Old Apr 16, 2004, 01:04 PM

OUCH!! That sucks!! Like you said, at least you had the stock intercooler laying around or you would be SOL for a while.
Those concrete barrier things are another reason I like to back into a parking spot, if possible! No need to think about it once I'm in the spot.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

just got back from the test drive and something is wrong... I am hearing a loud pitch wine now when pressing the accelerator. It sounds like leaking air. I have rechecked the houses and clamps and everything looks good. I even had an independent third party take a look and still everythign looks good.

However what once was instant 1.4/1.5 boost in every gear is now 1.0 in first, 1.3 in 2nd, 1.4 in 3rd, 1.2 in 4th

so something is definately wrong.

-Doug
Old Apr 16, 2004, 02:02 PM

Sorry for the misfortune, hope things turn around for you soon.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

what is that aweful noise. It is a high pitch wine. Very very very loud... so loud that you can not hear my BOV or my exhaust both of witch used to be increadibly loud.

If anyone has any ideas on what it could be please let me know and thanks for all the support.

-Doug
Old Apr 16, 2004, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Hey man.

That's hard. I hit a curb really bad during Hurricane isabel last year and destroyed my lip, messed up my alignment a little, destroyed my undertray, but luckily saved the intercooler.

Let me know if you get a price on the lip, I need one myself.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by chickenbrest
Did I mention that this is my only car....and that it will not drive with a hole in the intercooler.
???? What do you mean it will not drive. Sure it will drive and you can drive it if you want. You will not get the boost as it will leak out and make noise, but you can safely drive the car. The car will adjust for the boost (or lack of it) to give proper AF ratios.

Not wanting to drive it like that is a different story, but you can.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

god damn sorry that happen.

Quick Reply: devastated