Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Streetability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2024, 01:41 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Lololol I got you. I always get thumbs up from younger people when I drive my stock looking evo9 lol

makes me feel young and old at the same time lol
Old Apr 8, 2024, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 384 Likes on 329 Posts
yup its a keeper, atleast people inspire me to try to keep it out and about. hope to see your ix in the future

goals:

The following 3 users liked this post by ViciousLSD:
EVO196 (Apr 12, 2024), Jahtoot (Apr 8, 2024), schuhie (Apr 9, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 03:53 PM

Haha yes. I’m keeping this one for sure and will be daily commuting it in my area lol.

my car is far from Prestine, but I try to keep her clean and maintained.

Air bag service recall
was done recently - I was hesistant for years until I found a dealership tech I was comfortable with giving the keys lol

I was thinking to get a evoX MR in the near future as well if I can find a nice clean stock one.

Last edited by Jahtoot; Apr 8, 2024 at 03:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Apr 8, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 03:59 PM
EvoM Guru

definitely looks nicer than mine!
I have not done the airbag recall. I'll try to call them to see if I can get it done in 1 visit
Jahtoot (Apr 8, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 04:22 PM

They kept my car overnight because the tech wanted to take his time since I had gauges in the dash. Long story short they wanted to charge labor to remove and reinstall the gauges.

my local evo shop can reattach them so I told the dealer just cut those wires.

Old Apr 8, 2024, 04:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jahtoot
They kept my car overnight because the tech wanted to take his time since I had gauges in the dash. Long story short they wanted to charge labor to remove and reinstall the gauges.

my local evo shop can reattach them so I told the dealer just cut those wires.
are they replacing both front air bags? my gauges are on the steering column and the ashtray. i hope those are ok
Old Apr 8, 2024, 06:31 PM

No only passenger airbag was in the recall. They also cleaned up and coated the front crossmember, another recall.

they have to drop the dash to remove the air bag. So any gauges with wires running through the dash will be a concern. Depending how the wiring looks behind there and if it’s plug and play or not. In my case they had to cut the wires for the ones by the hvac. The one mounted on the steering column was fine.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jahtoot:
EVO196 (Apr 12, 2024), osetsky (Apr 10, 2024), ViciousLSD (Apr 9, 2024)
Old Apr 9, 2024, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 117 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
yup its a keeper, atleast people inspire me to try to keep it out and about. hope to see your ix in the future

goals:
I was at the meet this picture is from! I was parked right being the black 8 in that picture lol.
Those old folks were really cool, super interested in the cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by schuhie:
Jahtoot (Apr 9, 2024), ViciousLSD (Apr 9, 2024)
Old Apr 9, 2024, 07:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by schuhie
I was at the meet this picture is from! I was parked right being the black 8 in that picture lol.
Those old folks were really cool, super interested in the cars.
wow you're from the future!
EVO196 (Apr 12, 2024)
Old Apr 9, 2024, 07:34 AM
EvoM Guru

No only passenger airbag was in the recall. They also cleaned up and coated the front crossmember, another recall.

they have to drop the dash to remove the air bag. So any gauges with wires running through the dash will be a concern. Depending how the wiring looks behind there and if it’s plug and play or not. In my case they had to cut the wires for the ones by the hvac. The one mounted on the steering column was fine.
my new ecu is on the floor currently so maybe I should go before i mount this somewhere. Or maybe I should go when I have dash parts removed. what a PITA. I swore off going to the dealer a looong time ago
btw is that rustproofing spray. I have been removing all that from mine. I've had it with that "sulfuric dirt" going into my eyes

The following 2 users liked this post by ViciousLSD:
Jahtoot (Apr 9, 2024), schuhie (Apr 9, 2024)
Old Apr 9, 2024, 08:25 AM

Dude your car is super clean underneath lol.

I need to do something like that one day. You did this your self ?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Dude your car is super clean underneath lol.

I need to do something like that one day. You did this your self ?
yeah. get a big box of paper towels from costco/samsclub. stiff-bristle brush w40 or xylol. that will loosen the gunk. wipe and repeat. i use trash can covers to catch all the drips and stuff. just a light layer of paint to make it look clean
you can do it a section of the car at a time, whichever youre working on. I've de-gunked all the reachable sections under the car and I'll brush white paint next time I drop the propeller shaft. Its much nicer now laying down under the car
The following 2 users liked this post by ViciousLSD:
EVO196 (Apr 12, 2024), Jahtoot (Apr 9, 2024)
Old Apr 10, 2024, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nick_s494
I used to own an ‘03 BBY VIII in 2017 and got rid of it and regret it ever since. I’ve been looking to get back into another one recently. With that said what is a “reliable”, I understand this term is relative, whp range that allows fun but something that can carry the kids and get to work daily?
Im kinda in the same boat as you! Ive had a few big hp cars over the years and as power went up reliability always became an issue, but as car guys we stick it out and continue to roll with the puches. Fast forward now, having children and dealing with the curve ***** life throws at you, the last thing we want to deal with is our cars breaking down all the time, then it becomes a burden and makes you hate the hobby as its more of a hassle than pleasure. My current evo is at 160k miles original engine, trans and even clutch.

It makes 330whp on a mustang dyno on 93 octane and I have it tuned very light on timing with a conservative AFR. The car gives me zero issues and i drive ALOT! Its on an old school FP green from 2006, the set up is simple and works and lets me focus on just taking care of her with oil changes and washes/spray waxes when the sun is shining. I dont think I would change it from this as shes proven her relibality to me over the years and its a blast to drive. She still holds her own against most of the cars that try to jump you light to light, atleast where i live! Goodluck!!

EVO196 (Apr 12, 2024)
Old Apr 10, 2024, 07:28 AM
EvoM Guru

check for rust if you drive a bit in salt/snow. its going to be tough to get a fuel tank so wash off its topside
Old Apr 10, 2024, 03:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Streetability is relative to your tolerance level as far as NVH goes.

From a daily driving perspective, a lot of parts are being disco'ed and/or are getting progreesively hard to find, AND/OR just keep getting more expensive for the 8/9. I wouldn't use it as a daily. If you HAVE to have an Evo, get a X. It's better in every way.

Quick Reply: Streetability