Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Streetability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2024, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Streetability

I used to own an ‘03 BBY VIII in 2017 and got rid of it and regret it ever since. I’ve been looking to get back into another one recently. With that said what is a “reliable”, I understand this term is relative, whp range that allows fun but something that can carry the kids and get to work daily?
Old Apr 8, 2024, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts
This is super dependent on parts used and quality of the work done including the tune. I'd say to stay as reliable as possible, I would stick with stock hard parts so engine, trans, and turbo then bump the fuel system a bit with some like 1000-ish cc injectors and a walbro 255 so you can keep the stock fuel pressure regulator and get that tuned by someone reputable with them understanding reliability, not max power is the goal. This would probably end up somewhere in the mid-300s ish?
The following users liked this post:
codgi (Apr 9, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. Initially, as most do, I wanted power with the first one and never got around to it because o enjoyed the natural ness of the stock VIII. If I can get back into one I definitely want to start adding to it to make it slightly more fun.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Even a tune on the stock turbo with a boost control solenoid and more fuel will net you significant power gains. If you have E85 available, that's another option for adding some power while keeping it reliable.
Once you start to add aftermarket turbos and built motors, the reliability starts to move a bit on you. If I could go back, that is what I would have done to mine but now here I am with a built motor, FP red, flexfuel, etc lol
Old Apr 8, 2024, 09:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 390 Likes on 335 Posts
its not a reliable car but it can be a keeper. lets say a part breaks at 70k, then you have another 70k when you fix that part
The following 2 users liked this post by ViciousLSD:
Jahtoot (Apr 8, 2024), schuhie (Apr 8, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 09:40 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
I think evolutions are reliable but require more maintenance the more you push it.

it is a solid platform that can make big power. Reliability can fall off here for many if not done right.

i have always kept all my evo’s near stock form (always stock turbo).

my current evo 9 is getting the block rebuilt because I bought it when low compression. The car drove for 3 years (10k miles) before I could afford to put her in the shop recently for a full rebuild. I will be keeping the stock turbo. I’m hoping for the built bottom end to hold up. Got 168k miles out of the stock block
Old Apr 8, 2024, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
its not a reliable car but it can be a keeper. lets say a part breaks at 70k, then you have another 70k when you fix that part
Ain't that the truth lol. A keeper doesn't mean that its reliable, it just means that you won't quit fixing it. That's the mantra I have with my evo lol.
The following 3 users liked this post by schuhie:
EVO196 (Apr 12, 2024), Jahtoot (Apr 8, 2024), ViciousLSD (Apr 8, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

well i have encountered weird electrical issues. First was the common starter issue which was a total PITA (i rewired it) then the latest is the "harness being damaged" now my knock sensor is getting phantom knock reading. I read of a guy who completely changed the harness after spending months trying to fix it.
Jahtoot (Apr 8, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 10:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by schuhie
it just means that you won't quit fixing it.
maintaining
schuhie (Apr 8, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

well i have encountered weird electrical issues. First was the common starter issue which was a total PITA (i rewired it) then the latest is the "harness being damaged" now my knock sensor is getting phantom knock reading. I read of a guy who completely changed the harness after spending months trying to fix it.
If I ever need to replace a harness, I will 100% be getting a custom one made with an aftermarket ECU. No chance I would replace it with another stock one and ECU.
The following 2 users liked this post by schuhie:
Jahtoot (Apr 8, 2024), ViciousLSD (Apr 8, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 11:38 AM
EvoM Guru

If I ever need to replace a harness, I will 100% be getting a custom one made with an aftermarket ECU. No chance I would replace it with another stock one and ECU.
yeah. I was rushing my shop guy for months, so he decided to "lend" me a haltech unit so I can attend a big event. not sure, maybe i'll keep it
schuhie (Apr 8, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

yeah. I was rushing my shop guy for months, so he decided to "lend" me a haltech unit so I can attend a big event. not sure, maybe i'll keep it
What this haltech? No I have had this forrreeevvveerrrr lol
Old Apr 8, 2024, 11:57 AM
EvoM Guru

What this haltech? No I have had this forrreeevvveerrrr lol
its password protected lol. i guess we need to make a deal on how much I need to pay. ugh these evo issues. i've lost so much hair already. If I dont get atleast one thumbs up a month from random people imma need to let it go
The following 2 users liked this post by ViciousLSD:
Jahtoot (Apr 8, 2024), schuhie (Apr 9, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 12:20 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Lol thumbs up ! You’re safe for April ! Lol
ViciousLSD (Apr 8, 2024)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jahtoot
Lol thumbs up ! You’re safe for April ! Lol
lol i mean from random people on the street. but yeah I got one yesterday from a guy in a pickup truck while test driving the new ecu having the Tirerack banner helps lol
Jahtoot (Apr 8, 2024)

Quick Reply: Streetability