Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ALL DaimlerChrysler - Mitsubishi's Financial Standpoint/Restructuring in HERE!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mhoward1
The Number are confusing and seem contradictory, but also the percetages shown are for Operation Profits, not Net or Gross.

These numbers in Sales report are interesting too

2003 2002
Sales Y1.877 tln Y1.849 tln
Operating Profit 50.12 bln 16.70 bln
Pretax Profit 47.76 bln 4.73 bln
Net Loss 2.65 bln 70.51 bln

Showing both Profit and Net loss.

Then there's the debt for the 4 years before 2001:

Reading the sales reports (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/e/index.html), it appears there were losses between 200-400 BillY each year between 1996-2000. 2001 was a break even year, and 2002 was a year of 40 BillY profit. 2003 has been a very bad year:
So it seems that we were both correct. Last full fiscal year (2002) was very profitable, while the fiscal year (2003) that just ended was very bad. Everyone know before 2000 that Mitsu was doing bad but that would have been before the new eclipse which sparked a new image for Mitsu.

I believe that the current problems are not because of product issues but rather because of very very very bad financial planning. I guess we will have to look back in a couple of years and see.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by ringthree

I believe that the current problems are not because of product issues but rather because of very very very bad financial planning.
No arguement there. Otherwise how can a company that increase sales each year still show a loss (except 2002)?
Old Apr 23, 2004, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Well now we have to start getting scared that Subaru is going to run the Japanese super car market.

And if Mitsu does go under are there any hopes that a company will buy the rights to the EVO or something?
Old Apr 23, 2004, 02:42 PM

Damn I wanted the MR now im going to stick with the STI if the EVO MR dosent show up here. Stupid drive by wire.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I am waiting anxiously for the MR.

Unless Mitsu turns around, I think I'll be in the Subaru showrooms handing them a check for the '05 STi.

If this winds up to be the only option... I pray they bring the Spec-C suspension.

G-d, I hope someone saves Mitsu.
g
Old Apr 23, 2004, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Ebay them!!!!!
Old Apr 23, 2004, 08:01 PM

oh boy.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Probable bailout by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries et al.

Story from NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/24/bu...s/24mitsu.html
Old Apr 23, 2004, 10:50 PM

Jeez, talk about over-reaction. A huge corporation like Mitsubishi will not fold overnight, there are many things they can do including filing "chapter 11" that can keep them afloat for quite some time. It would be a good year or two before anything drastic happened with all the legal avenues available but they could discontinue some vehicles before then. I do not see them cutting the Evo, it is the only car keeping the company alive and is their "cash cow" so I think that would be one of the last cars to go.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

How many companies file chapter 11 and come out smelling like a rose? Very few indeed. Does upper management in corporate Mitsu look like they have a plan or running around like chicken with its head cut off?

As for the crappy interior comment by one person, the Evo 4-6 had the same interior as the mirage. Those foreign owners don't complain about it.

I'm still hoping for a good outcome. Once Mitsu pulls out of America, DSM owners like me are dead trying to find replacement OEM parts from severe age of our cars. One can only search and find so many dead DSMs before supplies run out. Then, Chrysler will rape us!
Old Apr 24, 2004, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by pjork-master
Yeah, I am waiting anxiously for the MR.

Unless Mitsu turns around, I think I'll be in the Subaru showrooms handing them a check for the '05 STi.

If this winds up to be the only option... I pray they bring the Spec-C suspension.

G-d, I hope someone saves Mitsu.
g
what are you talking about?
the us sti is the spec-C
Old Apr 24, 2004, 01:11 PM

It seems like no one here is addressing the real heart of the problem. Let's just forget about the EVO for one second, because that is a low volume car, not a money maker for Mitsu in the US, just an attention getter. Look at the rest of the Mitsu lineup. Who buys these cars? The Galant, the base lancer the eclipse etc etc ? Do you think there are many people out there thinking to themselves, "Gee I really want to go out and buy that Mitsubishi. It's a great reliable cost effective car that will hold it's resale value" ? No of course not, the people buying these cars are doing so because they can't get financing at other dealerships. Mitsubishi realized this, and they have made it a policy to give financing to those people who otherwise would not qualify. Guess what, it's come back to haunt them. For some reason Mitsubishi didn't understand that Americans don't care about going into debt and defaulting on their loans. Why, because in America, you simply file for bankruptcy and then move on. In order for Mitsubishi to survive, they will now have to change their entire marketing strategy. Instead of attracting customers with easy financing, they will now have to attract customers on the merit's of the Mitsubishi product line. Guess what, unless there is a complete 180 degree turn around in the build quality and service offered by Mitsubishi, they aren't going to be around for very much longer.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 01:26 PM

EVO MR cool pix

http://www.mitsubishiklub.pl/galeria...asp?id=102&p=1
Old Apr 24, 2004, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mr96gsx408

what are you talking about?
the us sti is the spec-C
Nope, the spec-C overseas has a better suspension. It's even better than the current US evo.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:23 PM

If there are excess capacities to be had, and I'm sure there are, why doesn't Mitsubishi make more EVOs and mark it down somewhat? Bring it to around the costing of WRX and I can see demand for it jump.

Quick Reply: ALL DaimlerChrysler - Mitsubishi's Financial Standpoint/Restructuring in HERE!