Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: E46 M3 or EvoVII
M3 ya idiot!
26.67%
EvoVII + cash is a good thing!
73.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Sell the M3, get an EvoVII and pocket the extra cash?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2002, 05:28 AM
mcm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 3171
2) running an M3 (not tuning) is not more expensive than an evo
I disagree, for example BMW shops around here (Sacramento, CA)charge $200+ for an oil change. Expensive cars = Expensive to run, it's always been the case and it always will be, whether you're paying for premium parts, or for a badge; those parts/badges also apply to replacements and 'certified' labour.

3) you are comparing the second hand price of an E36 M3 vs. the new price of an E46 M3, so your calculation is wrong [/B]
So? I'm also comparing an older chassis/body Accord to a new one. The comparison is fair.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mcm

I disagree, for example BMW shops around here (Sacramento, CA)charge $200+ for an oil change. Expensive cars = Expensive to run, it's always been the case and it always will be, whether you're paying for premium parts, or for a badge; those parts/badges also apply to replacements and 'certified' labour.
Hmm... where did you go?? It cost $20 to change oil here in
socal... even dealer charge around $75 last I checked...

So? I'm also comparing an older chassis/body Accord to a new one. The comparison is fair.
Sure... only if the price increase % for new vs old body Accord is
similar to that of new vs old M3s...
Correct me if i'm wrong, M3 increased around 5k over the old
ones... ???
Old Sep 18, 2002, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mcm

If it's wrong, blame Autotrader.
Let me try..

Accord 99 EX Coupe 5speed
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...accord%20coupe
$21,195
avg out of 92 cars
$15,563 now (autotrader, honda, accord, coupe, manual, listing with prices only, 1999)

15,563/21,195 = 73% or 27% loss in value

(I think, Honda with auto would fair alot better in resale market)

M3 99 convertible
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...lass=43&page=2
$47,738 (assuming 98 has the same price as 99)
avg out of 56 cars
$36,603 now (autotrader, bmw, m3, convertible, manual, listing with prices only, 1999)

36,603/47,738 = 76% or 24% loss in value

I did not do the calculation for the average price, but the price
was listed conveniently at the top of autotrader listings.

Prices for the new 2002 M3 starts at ~56k BEFORE any options
and the gas guzzler tax ... so one should expect paying
around 59-62k before taxes... thats more than 10k above
the $47,738 new 1999 m3 convertible...

I DO NOT think Accord coupe has such price hikes...
this is the reason why I said that your comparison is not valid.

Last edited by JT-KGY; Sep 18, 2002 at 02:55 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depreciation.

You guys are comparing retail to retail. If you really want to find out how much somebody "loses" then come sit with me for a couple of days and find out what trade-in values are on cars. Whoever posted the 33%-50% figure is pretty close to correct. And it don't matter if it says Honda on the front or Chevrolet. I don't get too many luxury trade ins, but the average markup on these cars is a lot more then your typical mainstream car so they have a lot further to fall. As far as investments go, cars are not it - unless you plan on buying a Ferrari and putting it in a glass case in your living room and driving it one mile per month. Hondas are strong yes, but the most common vehicle I see that does really well in holding value are Ford heavy duty pickups, and I mean F-250 and 350 Turbodeisels, but I digress. The drop has more to do with the new car incentives like 0% financing then the car itself. It's hard to justify a used vehicle with a few miles that could cost about the same per month as a new one due to financing. As far as BMW and Benz taxis, well the only thing I can say about that is that if you look closely most of those cars are diesels and really old. Americans are not in love with the diesel engine, nor are we particularly fond of common people driving luxury cars. Therefore it is only now you are seeing the Germans sell cheaper cars in this country with some form of success, because they used to have the high end market locked up, that is until Acura, Lexus and Infiniti showed up and started jacking them up. Which, of course, we wouldn't need those names if Americans were okay with paying 45-70K for a Honda, Toyota or Nissan. Anyway, those taxis are just cheap versions of cars never really offered here (all the 300D's and Sd's are over ten year old) and are easier to get then Crown Victorias and probably last longer anyway
Old Sep 18, 2002, 09:32 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Originally posted by mcm

My example involved the comparison of a 2003<->1999 M3 Convertible to a 2003<->1999 Accord EX Coupe with similar milage. This was at the request of HobieKopek.
Gotcha, but it doesn't really make sense as the vehicle's value is almost always increased with each new model. So a 2003->1999 Acoord will look much worse. You'd really have to compare the MSRP price of the Accord in 1999 with it's current resale value in 2002.

Mark
Old Sep 20, 2002, 12:04 PM

Wow, quite the responses since I was last around!

Anyways, I haven't looked at what I could get for my car as I still haven't quite made up my mind yet. For it to be worth it, I'd probably sell it in the range of $52-5k since it's fully loaded and at that I'd be taking a fairly bit hit.

Am I still considering an Evo7? hmmm, would love to have got in on the $36.5k cars but $39.9k starts bordering on the the price range I'd rather not enter again. I'd be curious to know how much people are being quoted for their base Evo7 "out the door" with the $39.9k pricetag.

So what's that leave? 350Z track model? Maybe even cheaper and go with a base WRX. Or wait for the STi or Evo8?

still not sure...

Last edited by loki; Sep 20, 2002 at 12:07 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Buy a Toyota Corolla and use the rest of the money on a nice house!
Old Sep 20, 2002, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by loki
Wow, quite the responses since I was last around!

Anyways, I haven't looked at what I could get for my car as I still haven't quite made up my mind yet. For it to be worth it, I'd probably sell it in the range of $52-5k since it's fully loaded and at that I'd be taking a fairly bit hit.

Am I still considering an Evo7? hmmm, would love to have got in on the $36.5k cars but $39.9k starts bordering on the the price range I'd rather not enter again. I'd be curious to know how much people are being quoted for their base Evo7 "out the door" with the $39.9k pricetag.

So what's that leave? 350Z track model? Maybe even cheaper and go with a base WRX. Or wait for the STi or Evo8?

still not sure...

Have you been talking to Kevin? first he sells his M coupe for a miata, now you're going to sell your M3 for a EVO7/8!

Come on! keep the M3 and buy a used miata like kevin then go spec miata racing

This is Rick BTW

oh and my neighbor knows you too, he has been to many of your meets, including the norcal meets socal at SLO. I think his first name is Doug? he is japanese and he has a silver M3. he recently put PSS9 on.

Last edited by DakarM; Sep 20, 2002 at 01:17 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by DakarM

Have you been talking to Kevin? first he sells his M coupe for a miata, now you're going to sell your M3 for a EVO7/8!

Come on! keep the M3 and buy a used miata like kevin then go spec miata racing

This is Rick BTW

oh and my neighbor knows you too, he has been to many of your meets, including the norcal meets socal at SLO. I think his first name is Doug? he is japanese and he has a silver M3. he recently put PSS9 on.
LOL Rick, damn this car board thing is a small world.

I'm thinking about it... would actually considering getting an M Coupe since I love them so much but that brings me back to visiting BMW for maintenance and warranty work. Oh well, I'd probably never find the combo I'd want that I saw once, Alpine White with Kayalami Orange/Back two-tone.

Yeah, that SLO meet was just too damn far to do for me... I got better things to do than driving 7hrs roundtrip. So, whatcha doing on this board? Is there an Evo in your future?

-loki

p.s. I'm not as crazy as Kevin.

Last edited by loki; Sep 20, 2002 at 07:53 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by loki

LOL Rick, damn this car board thing is a small world.

I'm thinking about it... would actually considering getting an M Coupe since I love them so much but that brings me back to visiting BMW for maintenance and warranty work. Oh well, I'd probably never find the combo I'd want that I saw once, Alpine White with Kayalami Orange/Back two-tone.

Yeah, that SLO meet was just too damn far to do for me... I got better things to do than driving 7hrs roundtrip. So, whatcha doing on this board? Is there an Evo in your future?

-loki

p.s. I'm not as crazy as Kevin.

Alpine White with Kayalami Orange is the combo that BMW USA would not build for Ron S. Too bad, that would have been a kick *** combo.

Yeah I think there is a EVO in my future. I've pretty much given up on the Elise II, so that leave me with the EVO8. I don't have the guts to get one from EI.

Kevin crazy? heheheh has he painted the Miata McLaren Orange yet? then he hasn't completely gone nuts yet
Old Sep 21, 2002, 12:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah I think there is a EVO in my future. I've pretty much given up on the Elise II, so that leave me with the EVO8. I don't have the guts to get one from EI.
It may be totally worth waiting for specs, but I gotta say there's a certain charm to owning an imported JDM car I'm sure.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 01:53 AM

Alpine White with Kayalami Orange is the combo that BMW USA would not build for Ron S. Too bad, that would have been a kick *** combo.

Kevin crazy? heheheh has he painted the Miata McLaren Orange yet? then he hasn't completely gone nuts yet
That's too bad, I've seen that combination (NoCA car) and it's stunning!!!

I'm really waiting to see the specs of the Evo8... considering they'd be on sale at the same time an Evo7 would be ready, well... it's a toss up. Of course if I was really smart I'd just buy a WRX and finally buy a house like the rest of y'all.

Speaking of Elises, there was a guy who had one of the first batch of Sun International TypeR powered ones rooming at the hotel across from me during the recent Monterey Historics, neat car but there's no way I'd pay $55-60k for it, plus I'd rather have an Exige.

No McLaren Orange yet for the Miata, but it's gutted with rollcage and snug little racing seat... neat!
Old Sep 21, 2002, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek

It may be totally worth waiting for specs, but I gotta say there's a certain charm to owning an imported JDM car I'm sure.

actually i'm waiting to see if the Elise 2 comes to the US or not. That's the reason why I'm waiting. I have no problem with a slower then JDMspec US spec EVO8. but if i get a JDM EVO7 then the Elise 2 comes over I'll have to slap myself silly. but that's just my personal preference.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 02:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Not much for passengers, eh? Hot car though. I definitely can't joke about that.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 02:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
Not much for passengers, eh? Hot car though. I definitely can't joke about that.
passengers = dead weight

don't you agree

my current car is a 2 seater too

girl friend will have the 4dr sedan

Quick Reply: Sell the M3, get an EvoVII and pocket the extra cash?