Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fillup with gas while engine is running??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2004, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You never answered why it's so dangerous to leave your engine running,

yet again I get the standard response "do it for the children"...

so you get my standard response as well:
"I didn't hump your wife, they aint my litter of pups, quit oppressing me because your horny!"
Old Jul 1, 2004, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

GUYS can't we discuss something more pleasant like religion, gun control or abortion rights?
Old Jul 1, 2004, 06:18 PM

Last week I pumping gas @ AMPM and this ***n fat ***** pulls up in a SUV next to me and flick a BURNING CIG out the window. I stop pumping and got the *** outta there.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

I think i'll take my gas cap off and use the gas tank to shoot bottle rockets yaaaaaaaaaay
Old Jul 1, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ez76
GUYS can't we discuss something more pleasant like religion, gun control or abortion rights?
Missouri is concealed carry legal, EVOs all over this state have loaded pistols in them!! THIS IS JUST WRONG!!

We need a sign that clearly states that you MUST unload your weapon when you pull in for gas.... CLEARLY if leaving your engine running is dangerous at a gas station, having a LOADED PISTOL IN YOUR POCKET WHILE PUMPING GAS IS ASKING FOR A FIREY DEATH!!

Time to call Sara Brady and arrange a march!!

Old Jul 1, 2004, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Even in your sarcasm you sound like an ***.

The car running advisory is not for explosive reasons. It's to prevent accidental engagement of your transmission and therefore ramming your vehicle into the one in front of you or even possibly ripping the nozzle off the hose as your car rolls away. It is a safety hazard to leave your car running with no one in it. I've seen a few police reports of cars rolling away or slipping into gear while the driver was outside of the car.

I know common sense isn't so common anymore, but you people kill me.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Even in your sarcasm you sound like an ***.
Good ears!

I've seen a few police reports of cars rolling away or slipping into gear while the driver was outside of the car.
well I'm law enforcement, and I worked on a report today of an OBS stating aliens had abducted him and placed a tracking device inside his colon...

you people kill me
You fill up in front of me at a gas station, and this might be unfortunate fact... my EVO has a tendency to disengage the parking break and shift out of neutral and feather the clutch and into first everytime I step out of it with the engine running. I think there may be a TSB on this though, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Last edited by SpikeLS1; Jul 1, 2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:19 PM
Account Disabled

no one has even come close to answering the basic question of this thread. what harm does the engine running do? no ones come close because in truth the engine doesnt do jack ****. if u turn the car off ur still going to get static, ur still going to smoke etc.

its not the people who dont turn the engine off that arent safe, its the people that dont observe common sense that make it unsafe. granted ive only been driving for 3 years, but ive owned only turbo vehicles in those 3 years(evo currently, spyder gst before that), and the only time my engines shut off while pumping is when the turbo timer tells it to.

if i go in to pay for the gas before i pump and the timer shuts my car off, well no use in turning it back on right? but if the timers still running, ill put my key back in, let the engine run and precede to fill my tank. also of note i always touch my evo after i get out so i "ground myself" and i dont smoke. so please, besides me accidently reving my engine (if i ever actually get back in the car, which i dont, but just for the hell of it, lets assume) while the gas is pumping, whats wrong with leaving the engine running?

the basic fact is that there is really no harm in having the car on or off, its the common sense thats to blame...
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Re-read my post, I explained it.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Anyway, I couldn't take the time to read through all of the posts, most of them were lame anyway, (no offense). One of the reasons is, which was covered, but not really a concern of the manufaturer, is the safety issue. The main reason why the manuf. instructs you not to fuel while running the car is because there is a nagative vacume in the fuel tank when sealed, and the ecu recognizes that. When you open the fuel door, you create a neutral vacum, and the ecu can trip a check enginge light. Althought his will have no effect on your car, besides some idle stumble while fueling, it requires most non-enthusiasts to bring there car in, under warranty and cost the dealer money, to get the check engine light reset. My 00 Audi S4 would do the same thing. Seriously, how many manual tranny's accidentally engage the clutch and shift into gear with no one in the car?
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rally_Red_Bmore
the basic fact is that there is really no harm in having the car on or off, its the common sense thats to blame...
No. Cars can backfire and ignite vapors. It's rare but it can happen.

The rules are there to take common sense and judgment out of the equation, so other gas station customers do not have to wonder whether other patrons have any.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

I dont leave my evo running anymore because of the idle fluctuations and near stalling condition, I'm sure that its caused by all the air that is generated (bubbles) when filling, the fuel pump cant pump air, so fuel pressure drops off (lean conditon = bad). Thats the only thing I can think of, 'cause it only does it when you start filling the tank, not just when the caps off.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

i personaly wouldn't bother. i have just done a fire warden course over here and the guy said that when you fill your car up you are waist deep in petrol fumes! now i have seen most of the pics from verious F1 disansters when (normaly from the exhausts or the brakes) these fumes have exsploded and they are not prety. unless you want to wear nomex when you fill up is there any point? a mobile phone has enough energy to ignite petrol let alone the exhaust. and before you say its cold where you live, pertol vaporises at -43 degrees C!

thanks Chris.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

well thanks for the advisory! I've filled my evo up with gas while talking on the phone and the car running. I thought it was ok due to the fact that the car had fuel injectors, my car is pretty dangerous now that I think about it I do shoot flames out of the exhaust, but thats when I overboost at high rpms ( I have a burnt bumper ). However I will just fill up after the car cools down with the turbo timer. Usually being the impatient person I am, start filling up while it is cooling down under the timer sequence, my idle was ok... I guess it was my apexi fc that stabilizes engine idle... beats me... I will now shut my car off totally before I fill up, I didnt even know it was the law. People do look at me funny though when I am filling up with out turning my car off.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

First off, drivers still get burnt wearing nomex, the only difference is, nomex won't ignite, and regular clothing will, which inturn melts into the burning flesh of the driver causing more damage. Second, comparing F1 gas to pump fuel, is lke comparing a lady finger firework to plastic explosive, they are so different they can't really be compared rationally. It's like saying I have a private stock of avgas for a special chip in my car, when I want to race, wich would require a totally different power train alltogethser. Apples and oranges.
Originally Posted by chuntington101
i personaly wouldn't bother. i have just done a fire warden course over here and the guy said that when you fill your car up you are waist deep in petrol fumes! now i have seen most of the pics from verious F1 disansters when (normaly from the exhausts or the brakes) these fumes have exsploded and they are not prety. unless you want to wear nomex when you fill up is there any point? a mobile phone has enough energy to ignite petrol let alone the exhaust. and before you say its cold where you live, pertol vaporises at -43 degrees C!

thanks Chris.