Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evos first enduro drive

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evos first enduro drive

so i just got back from the first road trip in my new evo. the trip was to utah (from oregon) for my grandpas funeral. i was going to fly, but i decided to drive. the drive is near 900 miles one way, i made it in 11.5 hours there, and 11 hours back. both times totally solo, driving through the night. it was a good chance for the me to see how the car did running, as it hadnt been on a trip over 100 miles yet. i was only gone from home for 60 hours, 24 of which i spent in the car. ran over 3 mice, 2 pieces of sagebrush- blowing accross the road, and almost hit 1 coyote. other than that the trip went well. in idaho you can run 90 without incident, same in utah.(speed limit is 75). no flaming but i ran pretty hard. doing about 15 over posted speed limits and more through areas i felt safe doing it. i was curious if any of you feel like you could easily outdrive the headlights at those speeds. i just feel i begin to outdrive the regular low beams/fog lights at 65-70 mph. i hate it more than anything. even with them adjusted all the way up. anyway i averaged about 22 mpg. and felt pretty good about it. it was sad to see my grandpa go, but the evo performed outstandingly. how does that mpg compare to trips you guys have taken. it was windy, and i was running a little faster than seemed optimal for mpg, but it wasnt top on my list.... well it wasnt going to slow me down at least. no citations, hell i didnt even get pulled over. it was beautiful.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:36 AM

I did 600 miles this weekend with 4 people in the car. From Vegas to Grand Canyon and back again. Lots of moutains. I averaged about 10 over the speedlimit. I also battled a cross wind going both ways. I got about 20mpg for the whole trip.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Were you on I-84? I usually drive it at least 10 over and my gas mileage is inline with what you got. I drive that road quite a bit since it is my connection to Boise and to Salt Lake City, glad to see it treated you well through the state of Idaho. I have the problem with the headlights and usually just run my brights on the freeway, afterall I get flashed anyway and that is why they were designed with a median.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

the trip from oregon is 1-84 eastbound all the way. i ended up running brights as often as possible. those f'in truckers think they need to flash you to reduce them, but they are sometimes 100yrds away, and with the differences of elevation between the roads in there own direction, they only have to put up with it for a few moments. piisses me off. the only time i got hit with radar that couldve got me was in boise. saturday night at 12 or so they had a speed trap detup, but i slowed way down to 4-5 above posted limit to get through town.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you had no problems with your foot falling asleep? Was it uncomfortable without any cruise?
Old Sep 22, 2004, 01:05 AM
Evolved Member

the lack of cruise was a killer, but i dealt with it, no big deal. it is not so much of my foot falling asleep but more of it going numb and becoming possible to hold the same mph with any accuracy. i was going to put cruise on, but i didnt have time before the trip, and it didnt bother me as much as i thought it would.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just curious because I usually drive from Denver to Phoenix over xmas, and that's about a 12-13 hour trip. I'd love to take the Evo but it just seemed so long with no cruise. Maybe I'll rethink it now.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

I've done a similar trip in my evo: Illinois to New Jersey and back, about 950 miles and 13 hours (including stops) each way. I went about 75-80 most of the way and averaged 24 mpg on my way there and 23.5 on the way back. The trip wasn't too bad in the evo. I had my girlfriend with me, and surprisingly she did not complain about the rough ride at all during the trip so it couldn't have been too bad. The evo is not the ideal car for such a long trip, but definitely not too bad either.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

For me if the trip involves roads other then the freeway I may take the Evo, if it is all freeway then I usually take our VW.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:39 AM

Interesting post, since I'm HOPEFULLY PCSing Hawaii in October (finally) and going to GA. Going to drive from LA to GA. Lot of stops on the way, but the big trip is from Phoenix to San Antonio in an entire day. The drive from El Paso to San Antonio is usually 7 hours...

...of course, I don't think it'll take me and the red beam of light that long.