EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Modification Regrets? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/366613-modification-regrets.html)

EvoJoeIX Aug 29, 2008 08:15 PM

Modification Regrets?

anyone put something on their car and wished they would've gotten a different brand,part, or just straight out never did the modification in the end?

for me it would be my clutch, i have really bad lock-out past 6500rpms and no matter what i cant change it. i wish i would have got a Exedy Twin disc instead. sad thing is i had the money at the time too... i dont know why i went with ACT:(
when i get my built trans, i will not hesitate to put a twin disc in. live and learn i guess

Toxin Aug 29, 2008 08:18 PM

Actually the ONLY part that I had a regret about was the clutch too. And now, I do have an Exedy Twin and love it :)

Kracka Aug 29, 2008 08:19 PM

No regrets with the Evo yet, although I did hate my GM BCS for a while before finally getting it all sorted out.

With my DSM I regretted the full set of poly Prothane motor-mounts and crappy GroundControl coilovers. With my S2000 I regretted getting the 4.57 rear end since the gears were so noisy (I should have done the quieter 4.57R or 4.56 gears).

EvoJoeIX Aug 29, 2008 08:21 PM

lets keep em coming guys
this will help out the new guys so they get the right stuff the first time too{thumbup}

migs647 Aug 29, 2008 08:45 PM

I bought my car with a ton of mods on it (don't recommend it, but I got a super deal), and I have spent most of the time de-modding it. I have ripped out an electronic boost controller, re patched all the wires from the alarm that was put in, replaced the generic large FMIC with a stealth Perrin FMIC, got rid of the TurboXS exhaust.

I definitely do not recommend the turboXS exhaust to ANYONE. It is way too loud.

On that same note, It also has a turboXS blow off valve (vta). I absolutely hate this blow off valve. It is so loud. I look like a ricer and I drive an Evo ffs. If you're looking for a VTA blow off valve that is loud enough to wake the dead, TurboXS is your beast. Personally I'm going to the MR Diverter valve. I drove in an MR with one at English Racing, so much more sexy.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with what else is on there.

Btw, when i had my transfer case and transmission rebuilt by English Racing, I put an OEM clutch in, instead of the ACT that was in it. So much smoother and funner to drive.

silver9mr Aug 29, 2008 08:50 PM

i wish i hade enough money for an exedy twin but i went with the act and now regret not waiting

teamspink20 Aug 29, 2008 09:00 PM

the only thing i regret is buying a modded evo...now my car wasnt heavily modded but i spent the first 2 months getting the thing running right. i replaced upper intercoolr first because it was leaking. i went with ets and i love it. hated the forge BOV that was on it so i went with a IX MR and i love it except the semi stalling issue (hopeing it will go away with a tune) then i still had a fluttering issue and i put on a forge WGA and that finally did the trick. i just put on a ams licp and have no complaints with that either. now i just have to get this thing tuned bc it had a walboro 255 and it was flashed before i got it but its in need of a tune bad im getting horrible gas mileage and people cant drive behind me because its like raw fuel coming out of my exhaust haha but im doing hks 280s, head studs, head gasket, kevlar timing belt, waterpump and all assoc. pulleys and tensioners, and a ix turbo with tubular manifold. hopefully that stuff will be in next week so i can go get a tune and finally have this thing running good. so yea if i could do it again id buy a stocker

chaotichoax Aug 29, 2008 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX (Post 6064094)
for me it would be my clutch, i have really bad lock-out past 6500rpms and no matter what i cant change it. i wish i would have got a Exedy Twin disc instead. sad thing is i had the money at the time too... i dont know why i went with ACT:(
when i get my built trans, i will not hesitate to put a twin disc in. live and learn i guess

adjust your clutch pedal and get underhood shifter bushing that combo will help big time

EvoJoeIX Aug 29, 2008 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by chaotichoax (Post 6064217)
adjust your clutch pedal and get underhood shifter bushing that combo will help big time

i tried it all dude
i had the buschur shifter bushings and it just made it all worse
moving the pedal doesnt help either

migs647 Aug 29, 2008 09:47 PM

How many miles are on the clutch? Is it possible you didn't break-in / seat the clutch correctly? I usually drive really nice to my car for the first 200 miles. I blue glazed a fresh flywheel on my ranger with 300 miles on the clutch.

EvoJoeIX Aug 29, 2008 09:55 PM

the clutch has about 15k on it...
was driven very easy for the first 600 miles
lets not get off topic, i didnt make this thread to talk about my clutch. as long as i shift around 6500 im fine anyway.

PurEvo Aug 29, 2008 10:09 PM

If I could start over again, My first mod would be a 35r turbo kit.

brandEvO Aug 29, 2008 10:15 PM

I'm new to Evos, but I've been around race cars all the time. I've seen the same clutch in one car working perfect, work like crap in another. Sometimes its about the installation of it. A mechanic can get careless and not install it correctly and it will run like crap.

4g63smokinall4s Aug 29, 2008 10:24 PM

No regrets Joe

i always do thorough research before purchasing :D

keep em coming guys this is a good thread! Interesting

EvoJoeIX Aug 29, 2008 10:24 PM

i installed the clutch myself, everything was perfect and i never get careless on my car... how many ways can you install a clutch anyway?

but again, this topic isnt about my clutch