Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Modification Regrets?

anyone put something on their car and wished they would've gotten a different brand,part, or just straight out never did the modification in the end?

for me it would be my clutch, i have really bad lock-out past 6500rpms and no matter what i cant change it. i wish i would have got a Exedy Twin disc instead. sad thing is i had the money at the time too... i dont know why i went with ACT
when i get my built trans, i will not hesitate to put a twin disc in. live and learn i guess
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Actually the ONLY part that I had a regret about was the clutch too. And now, I do have an Exedy Twin and love it
The following users liked this post:
agthomps (Sep 5, 2016)
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
No regrets with the Evo yet, although I did hate my GM BCS for a while before finally getting it all sorted out.

With my DSM I regretted the full set of poly Prothane motor-mounts and crappy GroundControl coilovers. With my S2000 I regretted getting the 4.57 rear end since the gears were so noisy (I should have done the quieter 4.57R or 4.56 gears).
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

lets keep em coming guys
this will help out the new guys so they get the right stuff the first time too
Pawloo (Sep 22, 2016)
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:45 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I bought my car with a ton of mods on it (don't recommend it, but I got a super deal), and I have spent most of the time de-modding it. I have ripped out an electronic boost controller, re patched all the wires from the alarm that was put in, replaced the generic large FMIC with a stealth Perrin FMIC, got rid of the TurboXS exhaust.

I definitely do not recommend the turboXS exhaust to ANYONE. It is way too loud.

On that same note, It also has a turboXS blow off valve (vta). I absolutely hate this blow off valve. It is so loud. I look like a ricer and I drive an Evo ffs. If you're looking for a VTA blow off valve that is loud enough to wake the dead, TurboXS is your beast. Personally I'm going to the MR Diverter valve. I drove in an MR with one at English Racing, so much more sexy.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with what else is on there.

Btw, when i had my transfer case and transmission rebuilt by English Racing, I put an OEM clutch in, instead of the ACT that was in it. So much smoother and funner to drive.
TheRippedNerd (May 11, 2021)
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wish i hade enough money for an exedy twin but i went with the act and now regret not waiting
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

the only thing i regret is buying a modded evo...now my car wasnt heavily modded but i spent the first 2 months getting the thing running right. i replaced upper intercoolr first because it was leaking. i went with ets and i love it. hated the forge BOV that was on it so i went with a IX MR and i love it except the semi stalling issue (hopeing it will go away with a tune) then i still had a fluttering issue and i put on a forge WGA and that finally did the trick. i just put on a ams licp and have no complaints with that either. now i just have to get this thing tuned bc it had a walboro 255 and it was flashed before i got it but its in need of a tune bad im getting horrible gas mileage and people cant drive behind me because its like raw fuel coming out of my exhaust haha but im doing hks 280s, head studs, head gasket, kevlar timing belt, waterpump and all assoc. pulleys and tensioners, and a ix turbo with tubular manifold. hopefully that stuff will be in next week so i can go get a tune and finally have this thing running good. so yea if i could do it again id buy a stocker
TheRippedNerd (May 11, 2021)
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
for me it would be my clutch, i have really bad lock-out past 6500rpms and no matter what i cant change it. i wish i would have got a Exedy Twin disc instead. sad thing is i had the money at the time too... i dont know why i went with ACT
when i get my built trans, i will not hesitate to put a twin disc in. live and learn i guess
adjust your clutch pedal and get underhood shifter bushing that combo will help big time
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
adjust your clutch pedal and get underhood shifter bushing that combo will help big time
i tried it all dude
i had the buschur shifter bushings and it just made it all worse
moving the pedal doesnt help either
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:47 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
How many miles are on the clutch? Is it possible you didn't break-in / seat the clutch correctly? I usually drive really nice to my car for the first 200 miles. I blue glazed a fresh flywheel on my ranger with 300 miles on the clutch.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

the clutch has about 15k on it...
was driven very easy for the first 600 miles
lets not get off topic, i didnt make this thread to talk about my clutch. as long as i shift around 6500 im fine anyway.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

If I could start over again, My first mod would be a 35r turbo kit.
agthomps (Sep 5, 2016)
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new to Evos, but I've been around race cars all the time. I've seen the same clutch in one car working perfect, work like crap in another. Sometimes its about the installation of it. A mechanic can get careless and not install it correctly and it will run like crap.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No regrets Joe

i always do thorough research before purchasing

keep em coming guys this is a good thread! Interesting
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

i installed the clutch myself, everything was perfect and i never get careless on my car... how many ways can you install a clutch anyway?

but again, this topic isnt about my clutch
agthomps (Sep 5, 2016)

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?