Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like all the mods I currently have now. But the money I spent, I could've gotten a 35r kit first and be faster.

btw. I love my exedy twin disk. =D
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does exhaust count? I've had my ets 3.5in exhaust on the car for a week now and I'm in love with it. Definitely the best exhaust for the evo imo. Unfortunately, its going to be for sale soon because loud exhaust + evo = cops
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Catback. Replaced mine 3x. I want quiet yet free flowing w/ no drone.
Now I am extra careful before buying any part(s) Do ton of research before spending my hard earned dough.
I now wait longer not to purchase first. I wait until the hype flame burns down or be on the look out for a better part.
I keep telling myself don't be a cheap ***! Purchase the right parts new or use only once.
The following users liked this post:
Pawloo (Sep 22, 2016)
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sorta regret getting the FP Green. I just feel I could have saved some money by going with a IX turbo. I know the Green pulls a bit harder up top where as the IX turbo falls off, but I really don't race and even though I'm getting into it I feel that the Greens a bit laggier than the IX and the IX turbo may have helped more in autox.

Also I would have been able to get cam gears which I wish I had to help get some torque. For now I'm going to hold off on selling the green and get some cam gears and see what happens.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

regret greddy ti-c... only because all the "stainless steel" piping besides the titanium muffler is now rusting like the end of the world and i'll need to replace the entire exhaust shortly if i don't sand it all down and paint it. horrible.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

I regret going with a big turbo. Car pulls like crazy once it hits, but its no fun on the street and I dont even attempt to compete in auto-x. To make it even worse, the only dragstrip in Maine is an 1/8 mile.

Next regret is Seibon CF!

Last edited by sikrsix; Aug 30, 2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well i'd have to say my buddy club racing spec coilovers. the pillow mount bearings went bad after a few months of them being on the car, now anytime the suspension moves, turns or you look at it too hard it makes horribly loud popping/creaking noises. there's no way to make it stop other than to just buy new suspension...again. another shortcoming is the fact that there is no bracket for the brake line so you kinda just have to rig it up somehow. well i had a nasty incident on the highway at about 90mph after one of the brake lines wiggled itself loose and came in contact with the wheel. result? ruptured brake line at 90mph when an 18 wheeler cut me off. not exactly the best time to have the pedal go all the way to the floor with no prior warning. i switched lanes to give myself a little more room, but the traffic was slower, downshifted twice, grabbed the e-brake, and slowed the car down to the speed of the truck in front of me. i had to drive like that for about 5 miles till the closest exit, then get the car towed back home, then wait 2 days for another brake line to come in....yeah

next mod i regret: SEIBON CARBON FIBER TRASH!!!!! i bought a seibon carbon hood and trunk. the hood was okay, but the mesh was horrible. painted that black...no problems...but they were coming... as for the trunk, it NEVER fit the way it was supposed to. it was only slightly off in the beginning so i left it, but then it slowly got worse and worse and warped, and got to the point to where it wouldn't close properly, and everytime i would close it, it would hit my rear bumper and knock paint off of it. i sent pics to Seibon and they basically told me to go to Hell. yeah, **** YOU SEIBON. well i got rid of that crap in favor of a Chargespeed unit. back to the hood.....well the hood turned green/yellow after about 3 months, then the clear coat went to total ****. hazy, white, and yellow. well i had it sanded and recleared...it's shinier now, but still yellowish. the only reason i didn't replace it is because i took a job where i was going to be doing a lot of highway driving, and i didn't want to mess up a good Chargespeed hood. now that i've moved closer to my job and the 170 mile (one way) commute is over, i'll be investing in a Chargespeed.

My #1 single biggest regret? the Exedy stage 1 clutch.... words can not describe how much i hate this thing. it's made my car a total pain in the *** to drive. the engagement is not only too high, but it's made worse by the fact that i had to adjust the clutch pedal, so now it's even harder for me to come off the clutch (i'm 6'4", long legs and big feet and now the clutch is even closer to me than before) and i get locked out of every gear at or above 7k. i can not shift at or past redline in any gear. i really don't even like driving the car sometimes. i should have just put another stock clutch back in the car, which is what i plan to do. i'm just going to rip that POS out, burn it, then dance on it's ashes, and put a stock clutch back in. i got 70k+ out of the stocker, and i'm a better driver now than i was then, so i should get even more life out of another stocker. just thinking about how that clutch has ruined many driving experiences since i put it in is pissing me off.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB

My #1 single biggest regret? the Exedy stage 1 clutch.... words can not describe how much i hate this thing. it's made my car a total pain in the *** to drive. the engagement is not only too high, but it's made worse by the fact that i had to adjust the clutch pedal, so now it's even harder for me to come off the clutch (i'm 6'4", long legs and big feet and now the clutch is even closer to me than before) and i get locked out of every gear at or above 7k. i can not shift at or past redline in any gear. i really don't even like driving the car sometimes. i should have just put another stock clutch back in the car, which is what i plan to do. i'm just going to rip that POS out, burn it, then dance on it's ashes, and put a stock clutch back in. i got 70k+ out of the stocker, and i'm a better driver now than i was then, so i should get even more life out of another stocker. just thinking about how that clutch has ruined many driving experiences since i put it in is pissing me off.
So Im guessing you don't like the exedy stage 1 clutch huh???

THe one regret i have about my EVO is getting a generic FMIC. The fitment sucks *** and its not completely bolted on. I should have gotten the 3'' ETS intercooler. I'm saving up for the ETS FMIC.

I'm lucky because I have met some good people on this board which pointed me in the right direction.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

Im very new to the evo world but have been around them for a long long time. I learnt thru others regrets. Mods i have are very basic i.e BR Intake, BR MBC, JDM BOV, Megan Racing Cat back with Ultimate racing test pipes. Just got my self some HAWK HPS pads and Im yet to regret.

and as EVOSSL said it.. "I keep telling myself don't be a cheap ***! Purchase the right parts new or use only once."

Very interesting thread! {thumbsup}
Old Aug 30, 2008, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
yeah... never enough ...
Old Aug 30, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

so seriously:

-ACT clutch , after i replaced with Exedy twin , the difference is not even funny.

-Weapon-R oil catch can. Cusco worked waaay better for me.

-Also i learned a hard way , the performance numbers are just as important as a product weight. Example XSEngeneering FMIC is a Godzilla. SO Might a little less HP number FMIC with waaay less weight is a better choice.

-Grounding system, i don't even want to get into it.

-Battery relocation kit from summit racing / i should have know it better/

- Greddy RS, Agency power BOV, The APS is much more better, /the best for me so far/

- buying stereo system for the Evo.

- intake set up. for the 4G63 i find the best for me on road race is a following:
Apex'i intake box with feeding tubes, HKS RS induction pipe, Apex'i power intake cone. And you dont wanna know how i got there.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 30, 2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

wow sounds like you got a lot of regrets man^^

wanna go into detail a little bit on them?
Old Aug 30, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
wow sounds like you got a lot of regrets man^^

wanna go into detail a little bit on them?
i probably do it longer then some guys, and i like to find the best ones for me and the car /not just whp ,reliability and smooth running engine too/ , and i'm not really happy with the "better one".

What are you interesting most about my regrets?

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 30, 2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

what was wrong with your ACT?
Old Aug 30, 2008, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

The majority of ACT clutch users that experience lock-out, installed the clutch themselves....

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?