Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine would be the exedy twin plate. I hate this clutch and would love to put my ACT street disc. back in. Can't get into first gear sometimes, coming out of 2nd,3rd,and 4th gear sometimes I have to force it out of gear. The car stutters when I'm on the hill trying to take off. So many problems by far the worse $1400+ labor I have ever spent.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

I regret doing mods! Between the car payment and mods it made me stop going to college and work full time. So now I'm selling the mods that I never got around to putting on so i can pay my debts off and go back to college
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

^^ I'm glad I went to college first, and waited until I had a great job to start getting into performance cars!
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

^^ i hear that. Im kinda lucky that the fam Biz is Auto Shops...so FREE LABOR!!!

all mods/fabrications are done by me and my crew.

Last edited by Bunni34; Aug 30, 2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
seems like everyone regrets their ACT clutches...

I love my ACT because I don't get lockout. I also installed it myself. I have also loved it when I drove other peoples Evo that complained about it and show them it's not the car. (And don't take that any farther than that. I don't wanna argue.)

I regretted the Injen pipe set-up. Not because it doesn't work, but because it never worked the way I wanted it to. Injen FMIC relies on having the stock pipes to hold the FMIC in place, but when you replace the pipes, the only thing that holes the FMIC in place is the top mount, and the *gasp* undertray. Yep, I said the undertray.

All other modifications I mostly do myself, or find the closest to what I want, then modify it into exactly what I want it to be. All of the other times, I just make it myself. So far I have made my own Harness Bar, Suspension End Links, Built my own custom motor set-up, All my own porting (Including head porting), ground wire kit, undertray modifications, UICPing, Mini Battery, tuning etc.... And the list goes on and on. Anyone that knows me will tell you I am always fu(kin with stuff. It really suck sometimes because nothing is ever "good enough" for me.

The only thing that really pissed me off from day one till I got rid of it two years later is the Injen pipework. Argh. Finally just made my own.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

anyone put something on their car and wished they would've gotten a different brand,part, or just straight out never did the modification in the end?

for me it would be my clutch, i have really bad lock-out past 6500rpms and no matter what i cant change it. i wish i would have got a Exedy Twin disc instead. sad thing is i had the money at the time too... i dont know why i went with ACT
when i get my built trans, i will not hesitate to put a twin disc in. live and learn i guess
lol......................
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:00 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
lol......................
Why is that something laugh at?
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a mod, but I regret going to a shop other than AMS to have my downpipe and Tru Boost installed. Took over three hours to install them and then the car didn't put down all that much at AMS after I had them flash the car. I think there might be a leak or something.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just regret buying the HKS 264 Camshaft but not really regret putting it in yet. Maybe in the future, I'll just buy the 272 and reinstall it.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ecutek...
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
what was wrong with your ACT?
it is a same as the Exedy single. Hard on your feet and not as smooth as a Exedy twin.
The Exedy is much more user friendly and drive train friendly.
And i would leave it this way
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slvrr
Get an engine damper they are only like 160 and I'm almost 100% certain this WILL stop the high RPM lockout. Alot of people think its just the clutch when in most cases the motors forward and backward movement interferes with the ability to shift especially at high RPM's..
nope they dont. Actually my weapon-R dumper is broke at the welding another regret
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

no regrets on buying my car modded, but my regret to date is when my wife backed into my car i had the nose of my 8 cut out and now it is drooping on one side. i wish i would have just made them pay for a new bumper but live and learn.

by the way i have an act clutch and gruppe-s flywheel. 250 for break in i don't have lock out but when the car is cold sometimes i get a slight grind 1-2 shift. just need to adjust the pedal up and should take care of it.

STevo
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

i think we should leave the ACT vs Exedy debate. In that matter any debate.
It is a good thread and informative.
I can learn and so others a lot from it , if we dont go for debates.
Thanks Rob
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i think we should leave the ACT vs Exedy debate. In that matter any debate.
It is a good thread and informative.
I can learn and so others a lot from it , if we dont go for debates.
Thanks Rob
+1.. good point. There are plenty of threads on act vs exedy. This is not one of them.

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?