Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine is lightly modded, TBE, BC, FP, drop in filter and dyno tune.

The only regret I have is not doing it all sooner. I drove it stock for 2 years before I did anything. But on the other hand the stock time I had allowed me to really research everything I wanted to do and make educated purchases and decisions.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 09:43 AM

i love my act hdsd clutch have not had a problem with it once and over 30 launches and still not one adjustment....sean ivey tuned installed the clutch and did a great job.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mattevo9
sean ivey tuned installed the clutch and did a great job.
Yeah Sean Ivey worked on and tuned my car as well. Did a great job here too
Old Sep 9, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
I regret selling my Evo 8 and had never put my EVC 5, JUN Camshafts, Ohlins Coilovers and the list goes on...in the car and ended up just selling the thing and the parts and now I'm doing it all over again with the Evo X. This time I'm only going lightly modded though, after all I ain't no millionaire and I don't need to be throwing my money away.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:08 AM

the only thing i regret about my cluth is sitting in damn traffic. i bought a competition stage 2 clutch and let me tell you when you sit in stop and go traffic for 2 hours be prepared to want to break your left leg off
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

I regreted buying that cheap rexpeed engine damper that was made in china. It was the worst product I have purchased to date. Second was my ACT that locked me over 7000 rpm. Third was having put in the 272 cams due to the idle jumping around..but then I put in a HF Cat and the cams purr like a kitten now. That was interesting, I guess they like the back pressure? Fourth was the WG dump that was just getting annoying. Best thing I did was put my HF Cat back on a get it retuned.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
my regret is not doing performance mods first, I only did cosmetic mods.

regret not reversing the mods
Old Sep 10, 2008, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

no regrets =)
Old Sep 10, 2008, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Regrets:

I regret my Weapon R catch can.

I regret having a gold vendor install my headstuds 1X1 only to have my head gasket leak.

I regret my revolver cams, but only when I'm idling at a stop light next to a cop.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 07:16 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I have no regrets as I usually research a lot before I finally decide to purchase any kind of product.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

yes everything
Old Sep 10, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well...I have no regrets at all.

In fact I will give advice on "what to do" so you avoid all regret.

I bought my car new off the show room floor and only added a tb exhaust, boost controller, walboro pump, cams, and a tune in the first three years.

Man I wanted to go crazy with the car but I bit the bullet and every extra dollar I had I paid into the note on the car. Car was paid off in three years flat.

Well, I had been paying about $800 a month on the note (to get it done as fast as possible) so when I owned it...man there seemed to be a ton of money lying around to mod it. So I researched my butt off, went with parts that were proven to work, and built the car to my exact specs.

Wouldn't change a thing. Having a 550whp car that can be daily driven is amazing on any level.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SixOneNine
I do my research before buying parts so no real regrets because I know what I'm getting myself into. However I do get bored quickly so I change setups frequently. I'm sure there are guys here that have gone through 4+ sets of cams, exhaust, turbo kits, etc. It's a never ending cycle. lol
+1 on doing research and buying the right parts the first time around. Things I changed, but worked good and held me over for awhile were lowering springs, which I later on changed to coilovers, and both a K&N panel filter and Works panel filter, so I guess either start with an open element/cone filter setup that works with the IC piping/turbo setup you will eventually buy. My IC/piping/intake is all ETS which I am very happy with

Originally Posted by srajeremy
yea i my hand burned off trying to shift i changed it for a carbon fiber knob looks good and doesnt leave me blistered. i have 3.5 i love the sound but maybe its a little too loud.
try putting a soft sunglass case over your shift knob when you leave it parked outside

Originally Posted by migs647
I definitely do not recommend the turboXS exhaust to ANYONE. It is way too loud.
It is a very loud exhaust, which I would only be bothered by if it werent my daily driver... but I chose it because of its design, which appeared to have less bends which means less restrictions than some of the other exhaust systems out there, and it was one of the least expensive CB systems around without going for an EBAY type brand. I am actually very happy with it and the sound is raw and mean!!!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

I'm especially interested in hearing about any regrets about basic mods like TBE, flash/tune, intake, etc.

Great thread btw.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PurEvo
If I could start over again, My first mod would be a 35r turbo kit.
Before any big turbo kit you first must have......

Supporting Mods.
Supporting Mods.
Supporting Mods.
Supporting Mods.
Supporting Mods.

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?