EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Best License plate bracket for evo ix?! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/736083-best-license-plate-bracket-evo-ix.html)

iLLevo_ Dec 28, 2016 04:47 PM

Best License plate bracket for evo ix?!

Hey guys I currently have my evo 9 front license plate in my front windshield and am planning on finding a good mount for it.. is there a mount they sell that doesn't require any drilling into the front bumper? I'd like to get a nice one that stays out of the way of the front mount? Mayb one that is on a swivel of some kind?

llDemonll Dec 29, 2016 10:29 AM

the factory mount isn't in the way of the intercooler at all. it does however require drilling

MinusPrevious Dec 29, 2016 10:49 AM

This is one of my pet peeves

The factory bracket is the only one Ive seen that looks right. It indexes itself on the bumper before drilling so there is little chance of a mis-mount

Other aftermarket brkts looks cheesy & are usually crooked, throwing off the look

DeeezNuuuts83 Dec 29, 2016 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11696606)
This is one of my pet peeves

The factory bracket is the only one Ive seen that looks right. It indexes itself on the bumper before drilling so there is little chance of a mis-mount

Other aftermarket brkts looks cheesy & are usually crooked, throwing off the look

Agreed. The other options, whether aftermarket or homemade, tend to look flimsy or flat out bad.

I don't get why drilling holes is a big deal. Unless you are planning on frequently taking off your front plate, it really doesn't matter.

iLLevo_ Dec 29, 2016 02:44 PM

2 people for the stock bracket.. anyone know of a good aftermarket?

Astro_Train Dec 29, 2016 04:55 PM

other than this DIY one on this thread, every other one I have seen requires drilling on the front of the bumper.. so what is the point. Just use the OEM and call it a day.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rnish-kit.html

llDemonll Dec 30, 2016 07:46 AM

^ what he said

unless you're going to use magnets, you HAVE to drill holes somewhere in the front bumper. why not avoid possible harassment and just put the stock license plate bracket on?

DeeezNuuuts83 Dec 30, 2016 07:56 AM

So that makes four people for the stock bracket. Just use the OEM one and call it a day. It looks better anyway, and like I've said, unless you're going to constantly remove and re-install the plate for some bizarre reason, who cares if there are holes.

It may have mattered years ago when the pool of Evo IXs on the market was much bigger (as I knew of instances where potential buyers would turn down Evos with front plates), but nowadays, it's not a make-or-break-it aspect.

benniboi08 Dec 30, 2016 08:23 AM

make that five people for OEM bracket. Had it since day 1 when i pulled the car off the lot and never looked back. IMO it looks better than any of the other flimsy brackets out there..the oem one is so sexy even the subby guys want to get side brackets. I've seen a handful with these side license plate brackets on the sti's...and no, they did not upgrade to fmic. I checked =D

DeeezNuuuts83 Dec 30, 2016 08:28 AM

While I noticed it, I never really thought about it that way. I see so many WRX/STIs, FR-S/BRZ/86s, etc. with offset license plate frames and always think of how they're purposely trying to copy that look that the Evo has but with no functional purpose (since there's no FMIC).

Astro_Train Dec 30, 2016 12:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OEM FTW..

Attachment 262915

Attachment 262916

heel2toe Dec 30, 2016 12:44 PM

Even though my bumper is all beat up from repeated impacts to cones when I fail to properly dodge them I still do not want to drill into the thing. For a while I didnt have a front plate on the car and then it became an annoyance dealing with the police so I decided to use some double stick tape to mount the plate.

Now I know double stick tape sounds a little bit sketchy but if you prep the surface prior it should hold up no problem. And I actually had to swap plates last week and removed the plate for the first time in I wanna say around 4 years. It was stuck on there really good so instead of going all hulk on it I busted out the heat gun and gave it a little bit of love and it came right off nicely and didnt leave a sticky mess and no scratches underneath it so I was pretty happy about that. I then cleaned up the surface and stuck on my new plate and it hasnt fallen off all week!

The factory plate bracket actually look decent but I just didnt wanna drill into my bumper and still dont want to for when they finally decide that 2 plates is silly, lol! Wishful thinking I know. Actually now that I think about it, perhaps if I do drill into my bumper they will then get rid of the 2 plate law...hmmmmm

Chrispy0530 Dec 30, 2016 06:43 PM

So being a FL resident, I don't need to worry about mounting a front license plate bracket on my car. However the fiance recently got a Chevy Sonic. Being a VA resident requires front plates. She nor I didn't want to drill any holes on her brand new car for a front license plate bracket . I went with this option and worked out quite nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/Show-Go-Licen.../dp/B001E4E0ZW

When not in VA, it can be tucked away under the vehicle. It's either that, or a good double sided tape would be your best option.