Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best License plate bracket for evo ix?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Best License plate bracket for evo ix?!

Hey guys I currently have my evo 9 front license plate in my front windshield and am planning on finding a good mount for it.. is there a mount they sell that doesn't require any drilling into the front bumper? I'd like to get a nice one that stays out of the way of the front mount? Mayb one that is on a swivel of some kind?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
the factory mount isn't in the way of the intercooler at all. it does however require drilling
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
This is one of my pet peeves

The factory bracket is the only one Ive seen that looks right. It indexes itself on the bumper before drilling so there is little chance of a mis-mount

Other aftermarket brkts looks cheesy & are usually crooked, throwing off the look
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
This is one of my pet peeves

The factory bracket is the only one Ive seen that looks right. It indexes itself on the bumper before drilling so there is little chance of a mis-mount

Other aftermarket brkts looks cheesy & are usually crooked, throwing off the look
Agreed. The other options, whether aftermarket or homemade, tend to look flimsy or flat out bad.

I don't get why drilling holes is a big deal. Unless you are planning on frequently taking off your front plate, it really doesn't matter.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2 people for the stock bracket.. anyone know of a good aftermarket?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
other than this DIY one on this thread, every other one I have seen requires drilling on the front of the bumper.. so what is the point. Just use the OEM and call it a day.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rnish-kit.html
Old Dec 30, 2016, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
^ what he said

unless you're going to use magnets, you HAVE to drill holes somewhere in the front bumper. why not avoid possible harassment and just put the stock license plate bracket on?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

So that makes four people for the stock bracket. Just use the OEM one and call it a day. It looks better anyway, and like I've said, unless you're going to constantly remove and re-install the plate for some bizarre reason, who cares if there are holes.

It may have mattered years ago when the pool of Evo IXs on the market was much bigger (as I knew of instances where potential buyers would turn down Evos with front plates), but nowadays, it's not a make-or-break-it aspect.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make that five people for OEM bracket. Had it since day 1 when i pulled the car off the lot and never looked back. IMO it looks better than any of the other flimsy brackets out there..the oem one is so sexy even the subby guys want to get side brackets. I've seen a handful with these side license plate brackets on the sti's...and no, they did not upgrade to fmic. I checked =D
Old Dec 30, 2016, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

While I noticed it, I never really thought about it that way. I see so many WRX/STIs, FR-S/BRZ/86s, etc. with offset license plate frames and always think of how they're purposely trying to copy that look that the Evo has but with no functional purpose (since there's no FMIC).
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
OEM FTW..

Name:  IMG_2151.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2133.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  108.8 KB
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Even though my bumper is all beat up from repeated impacts to cones when I fail to properly dodge them I still do not want to drill into the thing. For a while I didnt have a front plate on the car and then it became an annoyance dealing with the police so I decided to use some double stick tape to mount the plate.

Now I know double stick tape sounds a little bit sketchy but if you prep the surface prior it should hold up no problem. And I actually had to swap plates last week and removed the plate for the first time in I wanna say around 4 years. It was stuck on there really good so instead of going all hulk on it I busted out the heat gun and gave it a little bit of love and it came right off nicely and didnt leave a sticky mess and no scratches underneath it so I was pretty happy about that. I then cleaned up the surface and stuck on my new plate and it hasnt fallen off all week!

The factory plate bracket actually look decent but I just didnt wanna drill into my bumper and still dont want to for when they finally decide that 2 plates is silly, lol! Wishful thinking I know. Actually now that I think about it, perhaps if I do drill into my bumper they will then get rid of the 2 plate law...hmmmmm
Old Dec 30, 2016, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
So being a FL resident, I don't need to worry about mounting a front license plate bracket on my car. However the fiance recently got a Chevy Sonic. Being a VA resident requires front plates. She nor I didn't want to drill any holes on her brand new car for a front license plate bracket . I went with this option and worked out quite nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/Show-Go-Licen.../dp/B001E4E0ZW

When not in VA, it can be tucked away under the vehicle. It's either that, or a good double sided tape would be your best option.