Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

has anyone painted their tail lenses red from the INside?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone painted their tail lenses red from the INside?

I was going to try this but I was wondering if anyone else had done it yet. I plan to get some clear red paint and separate the tail light housing (as many have done to do the MR-style lights), mask off the turn signal area and spray the clear lens on the inside. if anyone has done this before, please chime in with any tips! thanks...
Old Oct 16, 2004, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have made 4-5 pair of MR tails and two sets of VII tails, all sprayed from the inside.
I used a dremel to cut the lense off instead of heat gun pry thing, (it leaves cracks).
The key with a dremel (cutting wheel) is, go slow, cut about 1 - 1.5mm back into the black plastic (don't try to cut inbetween the claer and black, it shows through), make shallow passes until you are just through.
Along the exposed side of the tail lights (the side you can see when you open the trunk), cut right down the opening between clear/black. (go very slow here and try to not touch the clear side, you'll have to cut a bit deeper here). If you happen to cut into the clear and it shows through, use black model paint on th clear to touch it up.
Once you paint up the tails like to want (I used stained glass spray paint from the craft store for the yellow turns on MR and red lense on VII style).
Clean off all the plastic boogers, Use a fine bead of ultra black silcone sealer, leave bulbs out (for ventilation during drying and to keep it from doing the silicone fog thing), use big rubber bands, masking tape or bungee cords to keep the tails together for at least 24hrs. Then look along the seals and doctor up any gaps with appropiate amount of ultra black, let that dry too. Then install and enjoy!!