Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can still use it, jsut have to get a t adapter to plug oem one in the other side. I haven't looked for where its at, or if its hard to get too.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
you can still use it, jsut have to get a t adapter to plug oem one in the other side. I haven't looked for where its at, or if its hard to get too.
It is on the back of the block, above the TC, below the intake manifold.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nils
I dont think Superhatch said that it was an actual bad spot for oil pressure sender. Just corrected us that it was a feeder not a return.

n
Correct!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
It is on the back of the block, above the TC, below the intake manifold.
Sounds like a pita to get too.

I'll prolly just use the tap on the side. IT should be one of the first to loose pressure if oil pumps failing correct??
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

If the pump fails the entire system will lose pressure faster than you can see if you had gauges at every port.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

If the pump fails the entire system will lose pressure faster than you can see if you had gauges at every port.
ah, so what your saying is it doesn't matter where you tap it then, any port will show a drop, hopefully you see it before the motor pops. right?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Right, the location choice should be based on what pressure you're interested in. Pump pressure, or pressure at the head, which ARE different.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Right, the location choice should be based on what pressure you're interested in. Pump pressure, or pressure at the head, which ARE different.
oh man, now I'm confused!! I"m guessing I want to monitor weather or not the oil pump is going bad. My main concern is if the pump is failing and not keeping the motor lubricated.

sorry about all the dumb questions, just wanna understand the correct location.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

If all you want to know is if the pump is working, pick whichever location is easier for you to tap. It will read pressure if it is and it won't of the pump fails.

The pressure reading at the head will be lower, and very low at idle when the car is fully warmed up.

If the pump has not completely failed but is losing efficiency you will see the pressures lower than normal.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

ok, Thanks for all your help superhatch!!!

Guess I'll go with the head for now since its the easiest.

just to clear things up though, whats the difference in the 2 readings head and block and benefits to each??

Last edited by CarFanatic; Apr 3, 2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Careful what you say about the head one being the "easiest"... Removing that black bracket can be tough, and then you have all the cables that were attached to that bracket either tied to something else or flopping around. That's why I decided to go down by the filter.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

I have an evo 9. none of those brackets are there.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Just so all you guys know. If you do have peak/warning gauges i would mount the oil pressure sending unit down by the oil filter. Since most of you say you get higher readings there. The reason I say this is because when my oil pressure goes to 0, my warning gauge beeps. It gets extremely annoying on a daily basis!
On a side note, does anyone know the part number to the plug in the head where I mounted my oil pressure sending unit? I lost it!
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brembo350z
Just so all you guys know. If you do have peak/warning gauges i would mount the oil pressure sending unit down by the oil filter. Since most of you say you get higher readings there. The reason I say this is because when my oil pressure goes to 0, my warning gauge beeps. It gets extremely annoying on a daily basis!
On a side note, does anyone know the part number to the plug in the head where I mounted my oil pressure sending unit? I lost it!
Good point. Even mounted down there i still get an occassional beep. What pisses me off the most is that the defi link unit isn't aware of the car's ignition status, so it only knows "oh i have power, or I don't" rahter than "oh the car is on acc, or on, or off" in which case you'd be able to sit there without the car on and not hear the incessant beep of 0 oil pressure!

Ask in the part # thread for that part btw.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:23 PM

so it looks like pulling that 8mm hex out by the oil filter seems to be a safe bet, but what adapter have people been using? what works what doesnt? im not worried about oil temp, just more concerned on oil pressure, when its time for oil temp its gonna be time for a oil cooler and oil filter relocation kit neways

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge Install