Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

B&M Short Shifter install ++++

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2003, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evil -

Great write up.. However I only have one question:

What Part #s did you use? BM45xxx? How about the Energy Suspension part#?

Thanks a ton!
Old Jun 5, 2003, 02:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&M Short Shifter
Part# 45100

Energy Suspension Polyurethane bushings
shifter mount bushing set
Part# 5. 1102G

Odd part# but it's all that's on the box.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, yep... That sounds right to me...

I distribute B&M products, but only had a listing for the Evo VII... I figured it was the same Part # but wanted to confirm!

Congrads and thanks again!
Old Jun 5, 2003, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

So is this truly a short throw / short shifter. I read in another thread that the throw was almost exactly the same as stock with the B&M
Old Jun 5, 2003, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

If you check the first post, you'll see that the throw is reduced by less than 1 inch. Since the Evo and the USDM Lancer use the same shifter assembly, this mod would benefit a Lancer more than an Evo.

Although if it does in fact remove some harshness from the feel of the shift, it's good in my book.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

OK, I'm a sorry *** dumb noob..
but what's that "Energy Suspension bushing" for??

I saw ///RRM sells that as an option for $19 with the B&M short shifter...
Old Jun 5, 2003, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by leonard_shelby
So is this truly a short throw / short shifter. I read in another thread that the throw was almost exactly the same as stock with the B&M
It's shorter than stock. It measures 1" shorter in overall length but only gives about a 1/4-1/2" reduction in throw.

Although if it does in fact remove some harshness from the feel of the shift, it's good in my book.
Well I need to modify that statement a little. After further driving it seems the shifts require more effort. I guess as with all short shifters there's more strength needed between shifts due to lack of leverage. The notchiness seemed less until a few miles of driving where it's definitely still there. Maybe more so. The resistance between shifts may be due to the retainer piece I had to buy. I mentioned that it didn't fit quite the same and was really snug. This could be applying more resistance on the shifter ball than necessary. Until I get my stock retainer seperated from the stock shifter I won't know. I also plan on changing the tranny fluids so I'll let everyone know if BG Synchroshift will help us at all.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by drummerjun
OK, I'm a sorry *** dumb noob..
but what's that "Energy Suspension bushing" for??

I saw ///RRM sells that as an option for $19 with the B&M short shifter...
The stock bushings for the shifter housing are softer rubber than the polyurethane ones. This allows shifts and movement from the housing while driving the car. Mainly during shifts. The polyurethane bushings, like suspension, give little to no body roll preventing this and misaligned shifts. I think it's something minimal that most really won't notice but always good to be on the safe side.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

So it's definitely worth it to replace the stock bushings together with the short shifter?
Old Jun 5, 2003, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

If you get the short shifter, yes, I'd recommend changing them at that time. Otherwise I wouldn't really worry about it much.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 08:20 PM

great instructions. THANK YOU
Old Jul 10, 2003, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Well Evil, this is still a good write up, but I have a question for those of you who've done this install on the Lancer (Hobie, I think you fall in this catagory).

Is the install for the US Lancer identical to this one for the Evo? I know the console removal is te same, except for the IC spray switch, of course.

Do I need to run out and buy a new retainer to do this, or have all the USDM installs gone more smoothly?

I finally ordered the kit from RRM with bushings, after putting it off for more than a year. I know it's a one-day install, but I seem to remember people saying it wasn't all that complicated.

Evil's install seems quite complicated.

Any further input is appriciated.

-Kelly
Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking about a pair of bolt cutters for the stock shifter. Less mess then a saw.... and for some reason I don't have a commercial press laying about.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Sailorgoon
Well Evil, this is still a good write up, but I have a question for those of you who've done this install on the Lancer (Hobie, I think you fall in this catagory).

Is the install for the US Lancer identical to this one for the Evo? I know the console removal is te same, except for the IC spray switch, of course.

Do I need to run out and buy a new retainer to do this, or have all the USDM installs gone more smoothly?

I finally ordered the kit from RRM with bushings, after putting it off for more than a year. I know it's a one-day install, but I seem to remember people saying it wasn't all that complicated.

Evil's install seems quite complicated.

Any further input is appriciated.

-Kelly
Slightly different, very similar. Try asking Gneel. He did his a week ago so the install's probably still fresh in his head (and he's a smart guy). I did mine almost a year ago. The shifter assembly itself is slightly different, but the steps are almost identical from what I remember. It's more like a 60-90 minute install actually. It's really not difficult at all. It's just tedious. I have heard of no problems with retainers on the US Lancers.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

installed mine today!
Thx to Brian for most of the install!

Quick Reply: B&M Short Shifter install ++++