Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

BR Underhood metal bushing install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put mine in today... good stuff!!!

it feels much more solid, and shifts so much better.

great product Buschur!!!!!! and cheap!!!!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:36 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Just put mine in a few hours ago.

MY GOD does my car feel better. Shifts like butter every time. I just ripped through the gears a dozen times around town and its just amazing at how much better my car feels. I removed the pill and installed a SS clutch line at the same time so maybe its just a combination between them but there is no more notchy grinding when shifting gears. I'm really happy right now
Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kevin.
there is no more notchy grinding when shifting gears.
nice! thats what im looking for.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:10 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by wizechef
nice! thats what im looking for.
Yea it helped a lot more then any other drivetrain mod. I still have to pit in my front motor mount. If your clutch is in good shape then it should help too.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 03:23 PM

Great guide, I purchased these from BR as soon as I got done reading it.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks

Just did this how easy was that!!!! S o Easy A cave MAN can do it!!!!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

i put the bigger bushing in the cable ring then the c clamp on, and tried to put it on the shaft it wont go on... any ideas of how to get the c clamp back off?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Monochrome
If the fuel lines weren't RIGHT THERE, I'd suggest heating it up...

Otherwise, you could try a vice grips and spinning it off.

i cut the rubber of the bushing and then carefully took a dremel with a cuting disk and cut off the brass part of the bushings... it took me maybe 10 minutes to do both since i have the battery in the trunk.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:34 PM

Great write-up. This will definitely help me when I get my BR bushings, thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:31 PM

instaall

did mine today (but agency power) and now I cant get into first or second... ideas?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

doing this in the next few days can't wait
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:08 PM

Did this yesterday, and the top bushing was seized on. I removed the shifter cable and the bushing stuck to the transmission post. I cut all the rubber off, then used a grinding wheel to grind down the back side of the bushing sleeve, until I could barely start to see the post. Then I soaked the bushing sleeve in pb blaster locked vice grips onto the bushing and turned the vice grips while pulling up until it finally came off.

Make sure the new metal bushings spin freely, dont force them on. If they dont go on easily and spin easily, sand them down with a peice of sandpaper until they do. Then put grease (i used wheel bearing grease) on the posts and slide the metal bushing onto the post.

I think if you are using metal bushings you dont need to re-use the washer that was on top of the stock bushing, and if your using the urethane bushings you need to re-use the washer.

I also removed the strut tower bar to get more room, which was helpful.

You will probably notice some of the bolts and nuts were a little difficult to get off and rusted. Its a good idea to put never seize on the bolts and nuts. I put this on almost every bolts and nut i take off, it makes it 10x easier to take them out next time, and you dont have to worry about snapping a bolt off.

Last edited by boostnMA; Apr 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:08 PM

I just did this mod myself. My bushings were in there pretty tight. The big one came out after pressing my thumb pretty hard. The smaller one was seized too, and it would not submit to my thumb. I ended up putting a pair of needle nose pliers into the center of the bushing hole, put the end at the base of my hand, and wrapped four of my fingers around the cable and assembley and squeezed hard. It came out and only using one hand. There isn't much space for two arms back there. I thought about removing the strut bar, but it didn't seem like i would have gained that much of an advantage.
I had just put on some brakes so I used antiseize on the c clip whenI installed it.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:16 PM

Just finished the install, and everything was pretty good. I haven't driven the car off yet, but I noticed I can shift (engine off) without depressing the clutch now. Is that normal?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boostnMA
Did this yesterday, and the top bushing was seized on. I removed the shifter cable and the bushing stuck to the transmission post. I cut all the rubber off, then used a grinding wheel to grind down the back side of the bushing sleeve, until I could barely start to see the post. Then I soaked the bushing sleeve in pb blaster locked vice grips onto the bushing and turned the vice grips while pulling up until it finally came off.

Make sure the new metal bushings spin freely, dont force them on. If they dont go on easily and spin easily, sand them down with a peice of sandpaper until they do. Then put grease (i used wheel bearing grease) on the posts and slide the metal bushing onto the post.

I think if you are using metal bushings you dont need to re-use the washer that was on top of the stock bushing, and if your using the urethane bushings you need to re-use the washer.

I also removed the strut tower bar to get more room, which was helpful.

You will probably notice some of the bolts and nuts were a little difficult to get off and rusted. Its a good idea to put never seize on the bolts and nuts. I put this on almost every bolts and nut i take off, it makes it 10x easier to take them out next time, and you dont have to worry about snapping a bolt off.
"I removed the shifter cable and the bushing stuck to the transmission post." is there a how to on this?

Quick Reply: BR Underhood metal bushing install