Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

how to balance shaft removal ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how to balance shaft removal ?

well im getting ready to do my timing belt on my evo 9 and i want to ditch the balance shaft. imm gonna buy the ams kit for it but does some1 have a write up on it or anything? thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Apr 17, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/balance-shafts.html
Old Apr 17, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't have balanced internals you are going to have some vibrations. I assume you either know that or have a built, balanced motor. Then again if that would be the case then you probably would have removed the balance shaft when you had the motor out.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

The motor doesn't produce any more vibration than normal, you just feel more of them.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by buchnerj
If you don't have balanced internals you are going to have some vibrations. I assume you either know that or have a built, balanced motor. Then again if that would be the case then you probably would have removed the balance shaft when you had the motor out.
Agreed. I have a been in many cars with 6-bolts without balance shafts and the engine is not as smooth as one with balance shafts. I do agree that it is cheap insurance for what can happen if things go wrong...

You may want to consider a damper pulley like one of these guys.

I am not sure if they make them for Evo's though.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

i can just leave the rear balance shaft in the car with no belt correct?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

ivan they do make them i think they go for around 300 and i do plan on getting one in the near future. from everything i can find on removing balance shafts the is some additional "vibration" but nothing crazy and nothing that will cause premature wear. and only some people report that, and its not a noticeable vibration unless your looking for it. i do have extra stiff avid motor mounts so i will post up on my opinions on the removal. but so fa rthis job is nothing compared to a clutch job lol.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up a Fluidampr when I built the motor and you can not even notice the vibrations. This was with a fully balanced and blueprinted rotating assembly though. I have yet to feel a 4 cylinder car that was bearable with the balance shaft removed on non-balanced internals. The stock stuff will be pretty close, but the gains you see will be minimal. Why not just leave it and wait until you build the motor?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

im not doing it for the power gains although they are a nice perk. im doing it for the added security of not having the second belt in there.if the balance belt goes it can take out the timing belt along with my motor. just cheap insurance. my car is down anyways so nows thee time to do it.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

I have the AMS Racing balance shaft, balanced internals, with solid engine mounts and I barely notice the vibrations.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

yup thats the balance shaft kit i have. oil pump is comn out tmo am ...any 1 know if i can just leave the rear shaft inplace?
Old May 1, 2010, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oneofakindracer
yup thats the balance shaft kit i have. oil pump is comn out tmo am ...any 1 know if i can just leave the rear shaft inplace?
Yes, You can. I've removed my shafts following VFAQ instuctions, but without any kit.

Rear shaft: I've cut it and welded oil hole:

Custom stub shaft:

And in:

And rotated bearings of front shaft:
Old May 2, 2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by oneofakindracer
ivan they do make them i think they go for around 300 and i do plan on getting one in the near future. from everything i can find on removing balance shafts the is some additional "vibration" but nothing crazy and nothing that will cause premature wear. and only some people report that, and its not a noticeable vibration unless your looking for it. i do have extra stiff avid motor mounts so i will post up on my opinions on the removal. but so fa rthis job is nothing compared to a clutch job lol.
I have solid mounts and balance shafts removed on my 2g w/ a 6-bolt 2.3 and it's not horrible with the stock crank pulley. I did make sure to use loctite on all of the bolts including the flywheel bolts to make sure nothing would back out due to the additional vibration.
Old May 6, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

yup i locktight everything every time i take a bolt out.

does the oil pan need to be taken off to get the oil pump cover off? of is it just glued in real tight on the bottom edge?

Quick Reply: how to balance shaft removal ?