Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Fluid change for Evo VIII Japanese Specs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2003, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gunzo

I know there's no need to bleed

It's just not stated clearly in the manual which portion connects to what .. that's why when I saw the ATF drain plug ... I left it totally out just in case I drain the wrong thing and have to pay thru my nose for the bleeding :P :P

Okay .. if that's the case .. I'm getting it drained out since I've never done it

I feel sorry for those blokes who pay tens of quid every 4,500 to have their fluid bled... some mechanics/dealers are getting rich$$ from them.

Your torque transfer fluid is in need of change..... although strictly one can only say that when the debris is in the plates and you hear that moaning sound from the rear diff on cornering. The evo 7 & 8's plates are made of a stronger material than the previous evos. That said I think its a good idea to have it changed every Year or 18,000kms!

Regards
J

Last edited by jemm; Nov 19, 2003 at 05:08 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks dude !!!

Just a question .. any difference during normal on the road driving between tarmac and gravel ?? I find gravel turnin sharper than tarmac .. but that could be just me
Old Nov 19, 2003, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

On pavement, It does tend to oversteer a bit more and enter sharply, that because the center diff is being locked for a few seconds longer... leading to more rwd power. On Tarmac, the diff opens instantly on turn in to give you better steering response. On gravel roads, the car is settled in gravel mode and does not oversteer like this...... try it!

Last edited by jemm; Nov 19, 2003 at 01:45 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsu Diaqueen ATF-spIII, cheap, readily available at most dealerships :
Attached Thumbnails Fluid change for Evo VIII Japanese Specs-mspiii.jpg  

Last edited by jemm; Nov 19, 2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

^ bump due to the recent interest in ayc/acd on Evom.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Jemm .. just took the car to the track... OMG !!!!
other than bad driving .. it's OMG !!!!
And I run in Gravel mode on the track ..

Here's a couple of feedback I found on stock suspension..

traction is a problem for me (wasn't running semi slicks and the car rolls alot !!!) 4 wheel drifts into the corner is very controllable and the car points easily to the exit point I want (no traction again) .. Oversteer was easily overcome by stepping on the gas(!!!!)

The lines needed getting used to and the ***** gotta be bigger !!

Haven't tried tarmac or snow .. but I'm stuck with gravel !!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Try the Ralliart K1 ACD ecu for some real ***** out sideways action!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry for the revival! But I'm lost!

I have a JDM Evo VIII. Where is my AYC/ACD located? I'm changing transfer case oil this weekend. Are they anywhere around that??
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by jemm
Now here is where it gets hard. I say HARD because unless you have the small hands and patience of Baby Jesus, getting access to the AYC Fill plug on the 7 & 8 is very hard..... *it will cause you to cuss *

The fill hole is a 17mm plug located high on top of the diff, this area is blocked by the rear diff crossmember..

Test to see if you can pull the fill plug and refit it, if not then DO NOT pull the drain plug, take it to the dealer and have them do it

Fluid :

Evo 7 : 0.7 L
Evo 8 : 0.55 L

of Mitsu ATF-spIII
(this is the same fluid that mitsu uses in their Auto trannies of all their cars, so you should be able to get it at the dealer). Although some people use Honda power steering fluid or AMSOIL ATF in place of the SPIII, I would stick to the Mitsu fluid as its cheap and readily available at any mitsu dealership.

The purpose of the this fluid is to bathe the clutch packs (ayc uses a wet clutch system) and so prevent premature clutch wear. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF AYC MAINTENANCE.
There is some controversy as to what is the official service interval. With hard use change it every 5000miles, otherwise every 18,000. In the early days of the Evo 4, when some of them had faulty ayc ECUs that fried the clutches, increased the service interval to 4500. With the new generation of ayc cars, it is said that will increase the interval to 18k. I change it @ 15,000Kms to be safe!
hello. i would like to confirm, when u said 18k, is it in miles or km? i'm from malaysia and own a '03 JDM Evo8 RS. here we always use km unit. so when u say the AYC oil change should be done at 18k, is it 28,800km interval?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanuncyber
hello. i would like to confirm, when u said 18k, is it in miles or km? i'm from malaysia and own a '03 JDM Evo8 RS. here we always use km unit. so when u say the AYC oil change should be done at 18k, is it 28,800km interval?
he said 18,000 kms ...... so i think its km. which means im actually overdue .... will b doing this soon.

the transmission, transfer case and rear diff are very easy to get to. this AYC fill plug on the rear diff seems very hard to get to though !!