Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Need help with a Surge Tank setup

Old Jan 27, 2016, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with a Surge Tank setup

Help with Surge tanks
OK. SO I have been looking around for a while now and Im not getting all the information I need. Im looking to put together a surge tank setup. I am already having a Surge tank made and Im going with dual BOSCH 044 fuel pumps. I just need to figure out how to wire it all and plumb it all.

Background on the build I am doing. I am going with a built 2.0 from STM, 2000cc injectors, and going to a t3 Xona Rotors 7864 turbo. I am shooting for around 750, but I want to set myself up with room to grow in the future

What do you guys recommend for complete setups?

What is the best way to wire it all?

Does it matter what size hoses I use?

Is there anywhere I can find a complete write up to properly install.

Will a surge tank setup work with the stock ECU?

What do you do about a Fuel pressure regulator or can I use the stock one?

Where is the best place to mount a surge tank

Any help is welcome.

Old Jan 27, 2016, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
hey, why are you going with a surge tank? for the baffling to address fuel starvation? just wondering why that over your oem tank!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 08:53 AM

Its not replacing my OEM tank. This is one of the safest ways for me to properly fuel my setup. I will use a walbro 255 as a lift pump into the surge tank and dual Bosch 044's to push to the motor. I was going to go with a double pumper, but I was worried about fuel starvation if I decide to go to the road course local to me. if I was only doing Drag I would just stay with a Double pumper.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Same issue here, just went road coursing, and experienced fuel starvation. I'm looking at the same setup, but do you think a single walbro would be enough to lift into the surge tank? May I know which surge tank do you go with? Been browsing on the Radium piece, but would like to maintain internal pump, as to reduce the noise.

Originally Posted by Olms2468
Its not replacing my OEM tank. This is one of the safest ways for me to properly fuel my setup. I will use a walbro 255 as a lift pump into the surge tank and dual Bosch 044's to push to the motor. I was going to go with a double pumper, but I was worried about fuel starvation if I decide to go to the road course local to me. if I was only doing Drag I would just stay with a Double pumper.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IDK about a evo 8/9 stock housing
on a evo x they have kinda a built in surge tank so you can put a pump in that location and that will feed the surge tank out the surge tank to the fuel pump and then to motor this is very basic you will need to add filters and all and if you can keep all the pumps running all the time is the best no hobb switch and yes size of line will matter i suggest using as big as you can -10 feed and -8 return wil be more then enough to do what you want with a ton of room to grow
Old Jun 22, 2016, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i ran -6 to and from the oem tank with radium siphone with a fuel lab huge fpr and its working great with a walbro 450 feeding surge tank and a magnafuel 4303 feeding motor
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:41 AM

After some further research and talking to guys with the same setup I am going to run. The 255 will be plenty to supply the surge tank, especially if you mod it. I also looked into the radium tank, they are super nice, but they are so overpriced for what they are. I am running -6 line from the in tank pump to the surge tank, two -10 lines to feed the Bosch 044 pumps from the surge tank, a -8 y fitting to a -8 feed line to the fuel rail, and a -8 return line also. I am running a Fore Engineering in line filter after the pumps and a Weldon FPR. Wiring isn't going to be too bad. I have a local shop that is going to assist me with the wiring. I am going to make a plate to mount it all in the trunk and im going to use rubber gaskets under all of the hard connections to the body and for the pump mounts to eliminate noise. Keep in mind with this setup, if you mount it in the trunk you may have to make a firewall between the trunk and cabin.

If you need help putting together a list of lines and fittings together. Get with Brian From DynoTech Tuning out of Massachusetts. I also had my surge tank made buy Jon Vigil at Vi Engineering on facebook. He does amazing work, he can also set you up with wiring and plumbing schematics.

Originally Posted by gepzz
Same issue here, just went road coursing, and experienced fuel starvation. I'm looking at the same setup, but do you think a single walbro would be enough to lift into the surge tank? May I know which surge tank do you go with? Been browsing on the Radium piece, but would like to maintain internal pump, as to reduce the noise.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:46 AM

and after all is said and done, you should not need to run a Hobbs switch for it all.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, did you actually install the return system?
If so, how does it run?