Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

What tools needed to take apart Evo 8 Engine?

Old Nov 13, 2016, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What tools needed to take apart Evo 8 Engine?

Hello,

My name is Mike!

I've been creeping around these forums for the past couple of weeks because a friend of mine wanted to sell his 2003 EVO 8 to me. I knew something was wrong with the engine because I heard a knock but my friend assured me it was just a rod bearing that was damaged due oil starvation. He promised me he would hook me up with a mechanic that would take apart the engine for 2k and fix it.

When I finally did the deal and went to the mechanic, I was told they wouldn't work on the engine and that they would only do an engine swap. This threw me off guard and I was a little upset. Engines online went for 3.7k+ and I didn't want to throw that much money on a USED engine with labor costs to add on top of that. Plus the engine in my friend's evo has Wiseco forged Pistons 10:1 compr. Ratio So I thought why not take the engine apart myself?

My friend told me that I needed special tools for that and that it's better to swap.
Well I have time on my hands because this car isn't going anywhere for a long time. I figured if I know exactly what tools are needed I could take out the rod myself. I have a good idea of how the engine is structured and which pieces I need to take off to get to the rod (Basically the entire engine needs to be taken apart all the way down to the crankshaft), and I've done an engine swap on a 350z before.

Are there any special tools needed to take apart an Evo?
I did basic research, like having a torque wrench and spacing gauges. But are there any special mechanic tools I need other than wrenches and keys?

And what do you guys think, are the forged internals worth it? Or should I just buy an engine and swap it myself? I want the Evo to at least 400WHP maybe more if I can on a stock ECU. (I don't know if his ecu is stock but I'm assuming it is) Hell can I put a EVO 9 MIVEC engine and still keep everything stock?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I will even take pictures and post my progress as a sign of gratitude for anyone that can help me out on the tools I need.

THANKS!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 07:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hi David

The teardown is very straight fwd w/no special tools needed

Its the build that requires a few special items (calibrated torque wrenches, dial indicators, plastigage etc)

And the most important tool, is the knowledge on how to reassemble properly w/out making a critical error in ensuring the crank is properly aligned w/the main caps & dial indicated

Anyways, Im not the engine builder expert, but your question seemed fairly basic. Others will likely chime in w/some help

Joe

BTW, heres a teardown from Buschur

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Nov 13, 2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot!

I took the liberty of looking up some of the items mentioned and found a couple of helpful videos. This project seems very do-able.

If anyone else has some tools I need to be aware of please share.