Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To Blackout Taillights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually started doing this this weekend and it just would not let go. I managed to slightly deform a tiny section of the lens while I was heating it. Any suggestions on the best way to get under the seal? I might have another go at it this weekend - but then again, I might just buy the JDM MR tails :P

Oh and I have a silver EVO.....so if anyone can help me with the best separation strategy I am glad to give it a shot.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

when you deformed it that means you left the heat gun too long on the section.like what i said earlier try doing it in sections and just use low heat while warming the tail up.start on a corner so its easier to crack it from there then work youre way down the seal.just be patient and youll be able to get to open them.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While we got the front lens off but we cant figure out how to get the chrome piece out without breaking something. Whats holding this thing in?
Old Sep 11, 2004, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

You have to trim it to get the chrome housing out if I remember correctly. I'm trying to get hold of a second set of stockers so I have a backup if anything goes wrong

evo_dadi : I did have it on low heat I was being very patient it just didn't seem to want to let go. I'm going to have another crack at it tomorrow probably, now that my wife is back in town from overseas we have another car if mine is sans tailights
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We finally got them out but it takes more then just trimming the edges to get the chrome out. That thing is really in there tight! All I can say is go really really carefully. The corners are the hardest part and if you pull to hard I am sure the chrome will snap. Its just made out of plastic so I wouldnt give it to much effort. Also, the write up is good but I want to make some things a little clearer.

On seperating the lens from the housing for instance. The glue, or whatever they are using, is really brittal. You need to heat up the area that you are trying to remove pretty well in order to get it to seperate. Even when the area is too hot for you to touch the lens does not come off easily. We used a big utility knife to get more leverage and basically slowly cut into the area between the housing and the lens. You have to go really slow and keep the heat up. It took us about 2 hours to do both lights so dont rush it or you will break the lens. You can get the lens very very hot and it wont discolor. The trick is keeping the heat gun a good distance away. I used a really strong heat gun and had the lens sitting about 12 inches away when warming it. Once the lens was mostly detached from the housing I then used a small putty knife to slowly work the lens off without damaging anything.

On removing the chrome piece out:
If you look closely youll notice that the chrome piece seems to be stuck in with nothing holding it. In actuallity the thing is basically held in by the outer black shell and preassure. The easiest way I found to get it out was to cut the black houseing back on the corners to ease the tension on the whole chrome piece. Then, using a putty knife again, I slowly worked out all the edges and corners. You really need to use a sharp knife to get the black housing trimmed back on the corners to get the chrome housing out.

Before painting it we pondered how hard it would be to put back together. Especially since the chrome did not want to detach from the black housing. Needless to say it isnt going to be easy. We will be attempting to get this back together tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

Ill let everyone know the final time totals when we are done. I believe we will be looking in the total time of around 7 hours though, including paint dry time etc, so give yourself a full day without your car to get it done right. If you try to rush this you will break something!
Old Sep 12, 2004, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by digitaltekniq
I'm trying to get hold of a second set of stockers so I have a backup if anything goes wrong
So that's what you want to do with my lights. You're not molesting my lights. Never! I'm doubling the price.

Old Sep 12, 2004, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Haha, no - I want a backup set

I'm molesting mine :P
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Guys I did mine and seperated the lenses in 5 min tops. DONT USE HEAT you can warp the lense and the housing. Use a dremel tool with a medium weight cutting disc. Slide the disc down the seem where the adhesive is. Go all the way around the tail light. One your all the way around take a SHARP heavy duty razor knife and run it along the groove yiou just cut out. I've done 2 sets this way in less time then it took me to do 1 Taillight with the heating and cutting method.

I have 2 sets of tails if anyone is look for a set. I'll probably Black out 1 set and sell them blacked out.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
On removing the chrome piece out:
If you look closely youll notice that the chrome piece seems to be stuck in with nothing holding it. In actuallity the thing is basically held in by the outer black shell and preassure. The easiest way I found to get it out was to cut the black houseing back on the corners to ease the tension on the whole chrome piece. Then, using a putty knife again, I slowly worked out all the edges and corners. You really need to use a sharp knife to get the black housing trimmed back on the corners to get the chrome housing out.

Before painting it we pondered how hard it would be to put back together. Especially since the chrome did not want to detach from the black housing. Needless to say it isnt going to be easy. We will be attempting to get this back together tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

Ill let everyone know the final time totals when we are done. I believe we will be looking in the total time of around 7 hours though, including paint dry time etc, so give yourself a full day without your car to get it done right. If you try to rush this you will break something!
The chrome piece has little snaps that snap back into the black housing thats what holds it back in. The reason it's so difficult to get out is because of the adhesive that they seal the lense with. Once you pop off the chrome piece use a razor knife to remove the adhesive and the chrome piece pops in like butter.

Hope that helps, if not PM or IM me and I'll try and give you a hand.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

SAAAWEEEETTTT.

Shoulda looked that way from the factory. Stocker chrome has to go!
Old Sep 12, 2004, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

nice alternative badevo i guess not everybody gets successful with the heat gun.but its true that the chrome part is held on inside by a couple of snaps.trim the corners first with a blade then pop it off with a screwdriver and it should come out pretty easy.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Could you post pics of what the light looks like with the cutting method? I'm concerned that the grinding wheel will leave a rough flash around the edge of the lense and make it look like its got a white surround when you reassemble.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

No rough edge, matter of fact I took the sanding attachment and used it to remove the excess adhesive off the lense. We did my buddies this weekend, and he panted the edge of the lense on the inside. LOOKS SWEET! I may take mine apart again and re that. I'll take pics of the whole process in the next day or so, I have a spare set to do.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Excellent - I think I might do the same thing - looking forward to the pics
Old Sep 13, 2004, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

I may start on them tonight if I get home early enough ( Monday Night Football )

Quick Reply: How To Blackout Taillights