Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To Blackout Taillights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2004, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Blackout Taillights

Hello guys and gals,since the demand for these is on the rise and everybody wondering how to do it well here's youre chance

Here's the things youre gonna need:

To take off youre taillights off your car you just need to take off the 2 screws that holds it on the side and carefully pull it out.unplug the harness first before you take it off all the way so you dont brake the clip that holds the harness.

Once you start heating it up try to do it in portions so you dont keep on heating it up all the time.for example on the top/bottom i heat it and cut it in 4 portions since you gotta take your time cutting it to make sureyoure not cutting it from the housing or the lens.then i use the metal ruler for the gaps that ive opened already to prevent it from sticking back again.

After you get done cutting the sealant carefully start popping it off with the same ruler.flat screwdrivers works fine also but i prefer the ruler since it was thinner and easier to squeeze in to the gaps.

after the lens comes off now you have to start trimming the edges where the chrome housing is at so you can pop it off easier w/o any problems on cracking or breaking it.

Now that the chrome housing is out clean it out a bit for some dust or dirt on it.a gristle brush works fine or blow it out with compressed air.its time to get primered,i used 2 coatings of the primer just to make sure i got everything covered.after drying i spray painted the engine enamel(low gloss)and used 3 coatings.

Now after all of that its time to take a break to let the paint dry and cure since even if its a quick dry paint it will still be easy to get smeared.i let mine dry up a good hour and went to check it how the paint was but waited again just in case.then after it dries up you can start putting back things together.

Then use the silicone and apply it to the edge of the housing and press the lens firmly.an extra pair of hands is really helpful in this situation to hold things down so you dont get squirmy while putting the lens back on. I used rubber band to wrap it so it will help on letting the lens stay firm.then i set it aside for a day just to let the silicone seal cure and BAM!!youre done now admire the work that you just did for your evo.

Thanks for solarxclipse also on helping me to do this project right :thumbsup:
Old Aug 26, 2004, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Nice writeup man .
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

thx man!! just helping out the diy guys
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Thnx bro, I still think Id feel more comfortable letting solarxclipse do it since im only an hour away and he has done alot of these
Old Aug 27, 2004, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

lol i feel you on that man ive even called him a couple of times while doing this.just as long as you have time and patience everything should be ok.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

evo dadi,

thanks a million for this...have been waiting for this for quite some time....

secondly, can the silicon be seen from the outside?
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

from the outside meaning thru the lens? it can be seen not unless you use a light colored silicone seal i used black and you cant see them thru the lense.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

alrite then.. thanks....

you've got more pics on the job? if you do, would be grateful if you could post it up... dont want to make any mistakes when i get mine done...
Old Aug 29, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Be patient with this. I was not very patient and cracked the lens pretty good. Here i come EVO7 tails that is what I wanted anyway but this kinda pushed me into it Also don't heat the lens to much it will start to bubble and discolor.

Ben
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

thanks fore all the infos... now i am thinking twice of doing it....sigh....
Old Aug 30, 2004, 01:32 PM

Anybody got pics of blacked out tails on a silver evo?
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

I was wondering the same thing....... blacked tails on a silver EVO? I wanna see some pics before doing it.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Looks really sharp. I am somewhat vague on certain steps. Has anybody tried baking them in the oven to get them apart? That is what I did with my WRX headlights.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

ill take some pics of my car and my sis and my buddy so you guys can get an idea how it looks.we got white,silver,and yellow evo's all with the same tails.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Great, thanks evo_dadi!

Quick Reply: How To Blackout Taillights