Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Simple/cheap front mud flap install

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple/cheap front mud flap install

I tried this on my TB evo last winter, not wanting to spend the ~100 bucks on the ralliart set of four flaps. I wanted something to protect the side of the car during the snowy/slushy months, and also think this would be pretty good for autocrossers. I recently put some bigger flaps on, which is described in this post. I had mine on for 5 months of winter with no probs.

The method uses only existing holes and requires no drilling on your evo. If you have a show car, then this is not the custom installation for you .

1. Buy a pair of the Highland flaps from Advance auto parts )~7 bucks
2. Buy a at least 6 #14-16 drywall plugs. I got 1.5 inch and then trimmed them, similar to the size shown. You will also need a stumpy screw driver.

The installation is easier if you remove both front wheels, otherwise you will have to power up the steering and rotate the wheel from side to side to access the correct holes at the correct time. Either way is do-able, its up to you.

3. Remove the 3 factory black plugs and install the 3 green shortened drywall plugs. You will know if they are too long as you will not be able to get them in flush. You may want to srcew a srcew into them to get them started, much as you might do if you were screwing them into drywall.

4. The next part I dont have any pics for, so you will have to do your best. Use a cerial box to trace and cut a template of the flap. Hold it up in the position that you would like you flap to be mounted. Use a sharp object to poke through the template and then through the green plug holes, being sure not to move the template, so all the holes match.

5. Put the template over the real flap, mark the holes and drill them out (using a dremmel or a drill).

The screws I used matched the plug diameter (#14-16) but were 3/4 inch (they only need to be deep enough to go through the flap and grip the plug). Do not use the big ones that came with my plugs.

6. Start the inside one as shown in the pic, and then screw it in almost all the way.

7. Start the 2 outside ones, and then swing the flap round and screw them in, moving the wheel as necessary.

9. Tighten them up and you are done

10. Check screw position for the first few gas fill ups to make sure they did not move and that clearance is good. (mine didnt mover over 3000 miles of driving).

11. Repeat for the other side.

12. Drink some beer (but dont drive ).

EDIT THERE ARE MORE PICS, HAVE ASKED A MOD HOW TO POST THEM
Attached Thumbnails Simple/cheap front mud flap install-finished-flaps1.jpg   Simple/cheap front mud flap install-finished-flaps2.jpg   Simple/cheap front mud flap install-mudflaps1.jpg   Simple/cheap front mud flap install-mudflaps2.jpg   Simple/cheap front mud flap install-mudflaps3.jpg  

Last edited by bigfishs; Apr 19, 2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:46 PM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the offering!

Discuss post HERE