Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Install DC3 Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2006, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: Install DC3 Catch Can

Well as the title states, this 'how to' is designed to help you install a DC3 Oil Catch Can with the factory battery. If you have a mini battery you will likely have many other mounting options.

So first off let me tell you where I mounted the DC3, why, and pros / cons:

Mounting Location : Under the BCS -- completely stealth, so if you are looking for bling this location won't work for you

Why Under the BCS:

(1) I have read that you want the catch can below the valve cover to help oil flow down the tubes and into the can

(2) There is practically no space large enough for the two DC3 cans, but there is plenty of space below the BCS

(3) During oil changes (under the car) I will be able to access the drain valves on the DC3 and drain any oil in the cans

Pros / Cons

(+) The DC3 fits under the BCS
(+) Gravity should help oil flow to the cans
(- ) PITA to mount the DC3 under the BCS (remove airbox and turbo intake pipe) and drill a hole in the front beam (a drill is hard to fit in this small space)
(- ) I think you will need extra hose to be safe (I will contact DC3 and see if they want to change their hose kit package)

Parts Needed

(1) 1 #8X1" self tapping metal screw and large washer
(2) 6' of 5/16" hose (additional)

Steps

(1) Wait for the engine to be cool to the touch

(2) Remove airbox -- unsnap the 4 clamps holding the top of the airbox; unscrew the 2 cheap plastic connectors hold the intake plenum to the front of the car; remove top of airbox and filter and set aside; unbolt the 2 x 10mm bolts and unplug the BCS / ECU connector; loose the hose clamp (either phillips screw driver or 10mm socket); remove the airbox and set aside

(3) Now below the airbox is the BCS with a hose line that goes to the intake and one that goes to the turbo and WGA (the infamous T) -- see picture

(4) Remove the intake (black plastic tube) going to the turbo -- loosen the clamp at the turbo inlet (phillips screw driver or 10 mm socket); loose the BOV clamp; unplug the airline (vacuum hose) under the black intake tube (just pulls out); set aside

With all of this out of the way, you will have a bit of space to work in ...

Take a break and stretch your back (that is for all you oldies like me)

(5) The BCS is held to the frame rail by 2 10mm bolts -- unscrew the bolts and set aside

(6) Attached the L bracket to the DC3

(7) Move the BCS out of the way so you can get the DC3 down into position (putting the BCS back to ensure fitment) and locate optiomum placement -- you'll want to clear the BCS and also the fan shroud and miscellaneous lines (basically right below and slightly offset to the front of the car should be fine)

(8) Mark the mounting location (center of bolt hole in L bracket) and set DC3 aside

(9) Drill a pilot hole 1/16" and then use a 1/8" drill bit to ready the hole for the #8 metal screw

(10) Put the DC3 (with L bracket connected or just the L bracket) back down on the rail and screw the #8 metal screw into rail (this can be tricky as you will likely need to tap the screw into the hole with a hammer)

(11) Now your DC3 should be mounted and is ready to be connected to the breather / air intake and PCV / intake manifold

(12) Looking at the engine bay from the front, the breather tube comes off the right side of the engine valve cover and goes to the air intake tube that was removed -- run the new line from the breather to the top of the DC3 can (barb on the top and towards the front bumper); run the second line from the lower barb up to the intake tube (just put the tube back in for sizing) -- MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE HOSE CONNECTORS ON THE HOSES BEFORE YOU PUT THE HOSE ON THE DC3 AS THE BARB FITTINGS MAKE IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE

(13) Now you should be ready to run the hose from the PCV and intake manifold down to the DC3 (I did not attempt this as I did not think I had enough hose and will contact DC3)

(14) Mount the BCS back in place with the 2 10mm bolts

(15) Replace the Turbo intake and snap the vacuum line from the BCS back underneath the intake tube (make sure you tighetn the clamp done good and snug on the turbo)

(16) Replace the airbox and secure with 2 10mm bolts and tighten clamp connecting airbox to intake tube (make sure airbox clips are up when you put the box back in place)

(17) Connect BCS/ ECU connector to airbox, put filter back in, put the top of the airbox back on, and snap the clamps on by pushing in the center

DONE

If you forget to plug the ECU connector back, the car will start but run poorly and the SRS and Service Engine Light will come on (you'll need to unplug the battery to clear the codes)
Attached Thumbnails How To: Install DC3 Catch Can-dc3wbcs.jpg   How To: Install DC3 Catch Can-dc3wobcs.jpg  

Last edited by cij911; Dec 11, 2006 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old Dec 12, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread: HERE!