Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to: Stock WGA spring mod

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How to: Stock WGA spring mod

This is just a cheap way to hold more boost, by far one of the oldest tricks for internal wastegate. This will be simple and quick but feel free to ask questions.

Parts needs:
-Spring Assortment (Help part # 59001) can be purchased at Auto Zone, Advance etc.
-needle nose pliers
-12mm socket or wrench (optional)

Steps

1. Remove your stock wga (If the lower heat shield is still on you have to remove it before removing your wga, also it is optional to remove the wga. You may benefit just adding the spring and can skip to step 4)

- Take your needle nose pull the cotter pin out that holds the wga arm to the exhaust flapper and slid the eyelid off (turnbuckle)
- Remove the two 12 mm bolts that attach the wga to the turbo
- Remove the vaccum line attached

2. Now that you have the wga out. Locate the eyelid (turnbuckle) at the end of the wga. There is a little nut below it loosen it and adjust according (these are suggestions):

- 22 psi and below can skip step the wga removal and press on to step 4
- 23-26 psi rotate the eye lid 1- 1 1/2 rotations
- 27-30+ psi rotate the eye lid until it cant rotate any more (may have to turn it back a hair to get it to mount back correctly)
-Tighten the nut back

3. Mount WGA

- attach the wga back to the turbo
- tigheten the 12 mm bolts
- pull the eyelid over the exhaust flapper arm
- slid the cotter back in
- attach the vaccum line to wga nipple. Now it may take a little strength to get the eyelid on the exhaust flapper arm but "man up"

4. Find your Help Spring Assortment that you purchased from the parts store. Choose the following spring below out of the 5.

5. (Get your needle nose pliers) Take one end of the spring hook place it on the ring/lip of the wga, and pull the other end with your needle nose on the exhaust arm flapper (the same stud the eyelid slid on). Be careful with this

6. Check to see were your WGA is set @. You can do this by simply taking the input and output of your mbc or ebc and place a vacuum connector to connect the 2 vacuum lines. I get about 15-16 psi straight wga pressure; my eyelid is turned all the way down. 3rd gear pull I spike around 30psi and taper to 26ish psi @ 7500 and 4th spikes to 30 and sits there I think it tapers to 28ish. Dont quote me because i really dont remember, since I like to keep my eyes on the road going that fast. But I know for a fact it sits @ 30 psi for a while.

I dont want to take credit for this mod, since its as old as me probably , just sharing some old tricks.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:21 PM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread HERE

Last edited by chaotichoax; Jan 30, 2010 at 07:06 PM.