Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

WGA question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking WGA question

Hey

Car is tuned to run max boost of 21 PSI.
I believe my WGA is going out as boost is starting very late (3500 and upwards in 2nd/3rd) even with a 3" turbo back, better intake etcetcetc.

Which is a more preferable scenario:

- Get a WGA with stock pressure spring and continue to use the restrictor pill?
- Get a WGA with a pressure spring of 20-22psi and remove the restrictor pill?
- Both exactly the same?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'm betting you had the issue I had the wastegate isn't sealing completely causing boost to build late you need to tighten the wastegate
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

What are you using for boost control? Boost leak test then do this. Forget the pill. http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...td-setting.mpg
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Boost control is stock restrictor pill, WGA and the tune
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Boost control is totally stock including stock WGA, stock diverter valve, BCS, factory vacuum/boost hose assembly, and etc. Correct?

I am just trying to get a more complete feel for the actual state of affairs with respect to the overall boost control setup on your car.

Being that this is a VI, is this a high mileage example? Is the stock VI diverter valve a plastic affair? Did you purchase the car second hand? Do VI turbos come configured with a 9.8 turbine housing or the 10.5 dual puck?

Last but not least, have you done a BLT up to about 30 PSI?

Last edited by sparky; Jan 30, 2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

As suggested, a BLT is a good idea. However, that FP video linked by fireman, may be relevant and useful given a brand new FP HD 18# actuator and given a car with no boost leaks and etc. In those cases, given a brand-new actuator, either the "3-rotation", or, "1/2- eyelet", methods should get spring pressure within ballpark range.

However, such overly generalized and imprecise settings are not going to solve the problem on a car with a 15 year-old, high-mileage, fatigued, stock MHI 10# actuator and diaphragm, a fatigued and worn out diverter valve spring, as well as the likelihood of multiple boost leaks, and etc.

As a practical matter those two generalized, rule of thumb approaches to setting actuator rod length are not applicable in a case such as yours. It would be like taking an old, 300,000 mile jalopy with original suspension components: worn out and shot control arm bushings, a-arms, tie rod ends, blown shocks and fatigued springs in for a precision alignment. That video is just not applicable in your particular case.

Last edited by sparky; Jan 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Boost control is totally stock including stock WGA, stock diverter valve, BCS, factory vacuum/boost hose assembly, and etc. Correct?

I am just trying to get a more complete feel for the actual state of affairs with respect to the overall boost control setup on your car.

Being that this is a VI, is this a high mileage example? Is the stock VI diverter valve a plastic affair? Did you purchase the car second hand? Do VI turbos come configured with a 9.8 turbine housing or the 10.5 dual puck?

Last but not least, have you done a BLT up to about 30 PSI?
Yep all factory boost lines etc. Car has 130k km (80k miles). I've replaced the BOV with a evo 8 metal one. Also its a 9.8
Old Jan 30, 2014, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
As suggested, a BLT is a good idea. However, that FP video linked by fireman, may be relevant and useful given a brand new FP HD 18# actuator and given a car with no boost leaks and etc. In those cases, given a brand-new actuator, either the "3-rotation", or, "1/2- eyelet", methods should get spring pressure within ballpark range.

However, such overly generalized and imprecise settings are not going to solve the problem on a car with a 15 year-old, high-mileage, fatigued, stock MHI 10# actuator and diaphragm, a fatigued and worn out diverter valve spring, as well as the likelihood of multiple boost leaks, and etc.

As a practical matter those two generalized, rule of thumb approaches to setting actuator rod length are not applicable in a case such as yours. It would be like taking an old, 300,000 mile jalopy with original suspension components: worn out and shot control arm bushings, a-arms, tie rod ends, blown shocks and fatigued springs in for a precision alignment. That video is just not applicable in your particular case.
I figured it would just be a component at the end of its life (**** happens) and would replace it. I'm going to try to tightening thing in the video link (ty for that) and will report back if that helps.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Just do the following actuator mod that I will outline for you: Remove the complete WGA assembly from your turbo. Clamp the actuator rod in the jaws of a bench vise. Remove the turnbuckle tip as well as the backup nut. Using a hacksaw or dremel cutoff wheel remove about 5/16" off the threaded tip of the actuator rod.....about 4 threads, right?

Reinstall the turnbuckle tip onto the shortened rod leaving the backup nut off. Tighten the turnbuckle tip all the way down to where the tip of the rod bottoms out in the internally threaded turnbuckle.

Reinstall the modded actuator onto the turbo. You may need a friend with strong forearms to help you pull the rod onto its home onb the flapper valve's pivot arm.....voila.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

So, i've removed the WGA and it doesn't look/sound good. If i shake it a can hear particles rattling around inside. I managed to shake it a certain way and some fell out and it looks very similar to gun powder. Any ideas?

I'm currently shopping for a new one as i figured this thing is rooted..
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Another question, if you get a WGA with a 18 psi spring and one with a 22 psi spring what will the difference in response be? Will the 22 psi WGA start boost later because of the spring?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Bump
Old Feb 9, 2014, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
stiffer spring will help you hold the boost to the red line.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 06:31 AM

Check for boost leaks, maybe you should check the wastegate line for crack etc, those rubber lines dont last forever
Old Feb 23, 2014, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Just to report back..

Brought a new Kinugawa WGA with a 1.2bar spring for $184 NZD.

Night and day difference, spool is (depending on the gear) 600 rpm earlier and holds well.
Very very impressed.