Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

!READ! Installing a short shifter with out cutting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post !READ! Installing a short shifter with out cutting

I know there a lot of people saying that it is hard to install a short shifter and it is not. There are a few things to remember.

1. Take your time, I have read some posts that say it took them 1/2 a day to install a new shifter. It took me 35 min.

2. Don't force things it is a good way to break something you will later need.

3. Have the right tools and parts; this will save you time and headaches

I know there are a lot of steps, I did that on purpose this is very detailed and goes step by step. I hope this is helpful, please let me know.

Tools: 8mm allen wrench, a 10mm socket and open-ended wrench, a Phillips head and flat head screw driver, needle nose pliers and a 12 mm open/boxed ended wrench. That is it.

Parts:
1. Grease, I used waterproof white lithium, you can use anything you want that is very viscous.
2. OEM shifter retainer (part # MR246296) this can be ordered for about 20.00 with shipping at Lancer shop.com = this is the link http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...6&cat=6&page=1

From the beginning:
1. Remove the two screws in the arm rest compartment, they are at the bottom.

2. Once the screws are removed, pull your e-brake to the highest point without pulling to hard (you don’t want to have to fix that because you are he-man)

3. next you begin to remove the armrest and cup holder trim piece by lifting from the back, where it connects to the front there are two tabs that connect to the shifter cover be careful you don’t want to break them.

4. Once the arm rest is removed you will see two screws at the back of the shifter cover. These need to be removed

5. Next remove the ashtray, look inside the cup where the ashtray was and you will see the last screw you need to remove.

6. Now that all of the screws are removed, you can unscrew the shifter knob
7. This is kind of tricky you need to unsnap the pressure clips in the front of the shifter trim piece. You just pull out on the sides until you hear them pop. (Again you don’t want to be he-man be careful you don’t want to break them)

8. Make sure the e-brake is in the down position for the removal of the shifter trim piece
9. Begin to slide the shifter trim toward the rear of the car and at the same time lift up. This takes some finagling but it will come out. Make sure to unplug the ashtray and lighter cord, it is plugged in under where the cup holder was.

10. Once you have the trim piece out you will see the shifter assembly, there are two long bolts (2”) holding the shifter in before you start removing them put the e-brake back on.
11. Remove the clip on the bottom of the shifter to release the shifter cable.

12. Remove the cotter pin on the driver’s side of the shifter to remove the other shifter cable.

13. at this time you can remove the rear bolt that holds the shifter retainer in place, remember that the head of the bolt goes toward the passenger side of the car (for the rear bolt only) there are 3 washers on the bolt two on the drivers side, one flat which goes on the inside and a lock washer which goes to the left of the flat washer and one on the passenger side which is a flat washer. There is also a black rubber piece on the driver’s side that covers the threads of the bolt; this protects the spring ends against rubbing.

14. now you can remove the front bolt, I found that it was a lot easier to leave the bolt in the hole as much as possible, or you can pull the bolt out leaving the spring and washers on and put the nut back on to keep everything in the proper order. Just place it to the side.

15. You can now pry the shifter retainer out. It may stick a little so you can use the flat head screw driver to pry from the back of the retainer. Once the retainer is removed the shifter will come out.

16. On the end and the side shaft of the old shifter are plastic pieces that need to be removed and put on the new shifter. The easiest way to do this is with a pair of needle nose pliers. Use them as a lever to pop the plastic piece off. Now place them on the new shifter. (This is where you would have to cut the old shifter if you did not buy a new shifter retainer; to put it on the new shifter.)

17. make sure you put a fairly decent amount of grease on the shifter, in the center around the ball that gets sand wedged between the two pieces of plastic.

18. Before you begin to reinstall the new shifter, attach the bottom cable to the new shifter. It is a lot harder to do this after the shifter is bolted in place.

19. Install the front bolt (making sure you leave it loose); you are going to have to play with the holes to get them to line up.

20. Now that you have the front bolt in; go ahead and install the rear bolt and tighten everything up.

21. Reinstall the side shifter cable with the cotter pin.

22. Now begins the task of installing the shifter trim piece, plug in the ashtray cord first. The easiest way is to disengage the e-brake off with the car in gear. Be careful not to rip the leather boot.

23. Once the shifter trim piece is back in place you can put the 3 screws back in, one under the ash tray and two at the back of the trim piece.
24. Now you can reinstall the armrest trim piece, put the e-brake in the up position, slide the front in the clips first and gently set the back down making sure you don’t bind on the e-brake and then you can replace the two screws in the armrest compartment.

That is it, you are done. Now go out and enjoy your new speed shifting ability. I hope this is helpful.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics would have been awesome thats what most people look for no one wants to read......... do it again tomorrow & take pics haha j/k
Old Jan 26, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took pics with my cell but they look like **** so I didn't use them. Besides I figured that they could print this out and take it to the car with them without using a ton of ink. Just trying to save everyone some money to use on the car not ink.. haha