Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

changing water pump?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing water pump?!

is there an article here on how to remove the water pump on the car?...cant find one and had no results searching... is it possible or the only way to change it is to drop the motor? any help greatly appreciated as i need to change mine BAD!!!!

thanks
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

anyone?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

man, of all the 100's of thousands of Evo owners out there, not one knows how to change a water pump?

geez...this world is so helpful
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

I know you don't have to drop the motor, but you have to remove the front bumper. To be honest thats a job I wouldn't tackle myself.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOclub4
man, of all the 100's of thousands of Evo owners out there, not one knows how to change a water pump?

geez...this world is so helpful
To do a waterpump replacement, you basicly have to do a timing belt installation. Your serpentine belt, pullies, timing cover, and timing belt have to be removed to get to the water pump. The engine does not have to "dropped out", just lowered down, which will happen when you remove the timing belt side motor mount which is part of the procedure. Its not somthing I would reccmoned for the novice mechanic, or for someone who is searching here for the info.

Last edited by TalonTuner4G63; Mar 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tripperfx3
I know you don't have to drop the motor, but you have to remove the front bumper. To be honest thats a job I wouldn't tackle myself.
Why would you remove the front bumper?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63
To do a waterpump replacement, you basicly have to do a timing belt installation. Your serpentine belt, pullies, timing cover, and timing belt have to be removed to get to the water pump. The engine does not have to "dropped out", just lowered down, which will happen when you remove the timing belt side motor mount which is part of the procedure. Its not somthing I would reccmoned for the novice mechanic, or for someone who is searching here for the info.

THANK YOU!...that's all i needed to know...you r helpful...i give you 2 and a

thanx
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im bumping this thread from the dead to help others

Just replaced my water pump. My car wasn't due for a belt change for awhile, so I didnt have to remove the balancing belt. Drain coolant. Remove the first belt (accessory belt). Deep to that is the timing belt (remove this using how to guides). You'll have to remove the timing belt pulley tensioner arm, L shaped kinda looking part that the timing belt pulley attaches to (torque on that 12mm bolt and large washer is 16+-2 ft lbs). Then you can access the five 12mm water pump bolts. My old water pump was on the block tight even with all bolts out. I had to use a hammer as leverage against the water pump pulley crank and engine to dislodge the pump.

Make sure when you put the tensioner arm back on, that it will rotate and move up and down about 1/2 inch freely. If it doesn't pull the arm out and reposition it by rotating it up higher or CW. Push the arm back in and check if it'll rotate back and forth freely.

The picture on here helps show where things are, the accessory belt and timing belt covers have been removed already: http://vfaq.com/proj-pics/Tbelt/Tbelt5.jpg

Also the 4g64 blocks used in some 2.3 and 2.4's require a modified water pump (cant use the normal 4g63 pump by itself) or special gasket adapter. I believe English racing sells the modified water pumps. Modified pumps are better b/c the adapter gasket can leak.

Last edited by yenny; Sep 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added pic link