Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to: Change mustache and rear diff carrier bushings without special tools

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
How to: Change mustache and rear diff carrier bushings without special tools

I don't have pictures and I don't have a step-by-step, but I just wanted to point out that the bushings in the mustache bar and the rear diff side mounts are easy to change without a press. For the carrier bushings, use a drill and maybe a small chisel/flat head screwdriver to destroy the rubber and around the center tube, until you can remove it. Then use a hacksaw to cut a slot in the shell to break the hold of the bushing. You take the blade off the hacksaw, insert it in the bushing shell and then reconnect it to the hacksaw. You'll need the leverage of a full size hacksaw. For the mustache bushings, they are so hollow, that you can go straight to the cutting part, as there is a void in the bushings (actually a thin skin of rubber that you can cut with a flat head screwdriver). Once you cut through the bushing shells, they are easy to drive out with a hammer and a flat head screwdriver. To install the new bushings, assuming they are 2-piece like Energy Suspension bushings, insert each half all the way in the control arm and then drive the center tube in with a rubber mallet (if you use a metal hammer, then put a block of wood or something between the hammer and the bushing so that you don't damage the bushing by striking it with the hammer). That's it.

BTW, I did my front motor mount the same way.

Good luck!