Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How To Dynamat your doors (lots of pics)

Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How To Dynamat your doors (lots of pics)

Hello everyone,

This is a "how-to" write-up on how to instal dynamat material on the front doors. It turned out to be an easy install with no complications, anyone can do it.
I upgraded my head unit and speakers on my evo, and noticed some rattles coming from the doors when i turned the volume up high. I did a little bit of research on what to do about it, and decided to go with Dynamat Extreme Door Kit. It contains 12 sq feet of material (4 sheets of 1'x3', just enough to finish 2 doors with a little bit left over). There are other brands you can go with, like Raammat, Elemental Designs, etc.
I'm not an expert at this, I just did some research, watched a few youtube videos on installation, so if you have any additional suggestions, let me know and i will add them to this how-to.

Tools recommended:
Name:  IMG_4388.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  100.5 KB

Sound Deadening Material:
Name:  IMG_4423.jpg
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4382.jpg
Size:  89.8 KB

Let's get started.

1. Start by removing the door panel. There are 4 screws to remove, then you need to pop-off the door panel. I took a "larger" screwdriver as you see in picture 1 and wrapped masking tape around the tip, so I would not scratch the paint on the door.

2. Remove the plastic foil from the door as you see in the picture below.
Name:  IMG_4383.jpg
Size:  53.5 KB

3. Remove the goo (adhesive) that was holding the plastic foil in place. I used a flat-head screwdriver and scraped it off, and a thin layer remained, but it didn't bother me, and the dynamat went right over with no issues. This is the goo i'm talking about:
Name:  IMG_4385.jpg
Size:  79.8 KB

4. Remove all clips holding the wires in place. I just pulled them out with pliers, you will not need them. Also remove the white foam on top right side of the door, as well as the yellow foam cube from the back of the door panel. Remove your speaker too. The door handle unit also pops-off (slide-n-pull out). There is also a metal bracket in the center with 2 screws that needs to be removed before applying dynamat.

5. Clean the metal with some type of solvent so the dynamat sticks to it well. I used some isopropyl alcohol, and wiped the metal down to remove any grease or grime (don't waste your time to clean the goo i mentioned earlier).

6. Take a sheet of dynamat and place it on the door like so. Trim any extra material. I used a marker to mark it, then used the knife to cut it off. Notice the white foam is still there in this picture, but it needs to be removed as stated in step 4 (I took this picture before removing it.)
Name:  IMG_4389.jpg
Size:  91.5 KB
Name:  IMG_4392.jpg
Size:  55.3 KB

7. Peel the paper backing off the dynamat and apply the dynamat on the door. You will need to use a roller (get a heavy duty roller, I read some reviews on the 10 dollar rollers, that they break easy so it's not worth it, this one was 23 bucks) Push the roller across the entire surface to squeeze out any bubbles and to make the dynamat stick to the metal better.
Name:  IMG_4393.jpg
Size:  89.0 KB

It should look something like this.
Name:  IMG_4394.jpg
Size:  93.3 KB

8. Now do the remaining top side of the door with dynamat. Make sure to pull the wires outside before rolling it. You can cut holes in the dynamat, then patch it later as needed.
Name:  IMG_4397.jpg
Size:  110.6 KB
Name:  IMG_4399.jpg
Size:  122.4 KB

9. Mount the speaker back, also mount the metal bracket, and the door handle.
Name:  IMG_4401.jpg
Size:  119.5 KB

10. Cut out some small amounts of dynamat so it sits flat with the metal, otherwise your door handle will look like this when you put it back together:
Name:  IMG_4402.jpg
Size:  72.0 KB

Here is a picture of the dynamat cutouts.
Name:  IMG_4403.jpg
Size:  133.4 KB

Now your door handle will look like this:
Name:  IMG_4405.jpg
Size:  66.2 KB

Optional. My speakers came with crossovers so I just stuck it on top of the dynamat and secured it with another piece of dynamat.
Name:  IMG_4418.jpg
Size:  114.0 KB

11. Last step. Take the door panel and slightly press it against the dynamat. the clips in the door panel will poke small holes in the dynamat. Cut out a small patch of dynamat for each clip, so it will sit flush. You can see them in this picture along the bottom and sides:
Name:  IMG_4401.jpg
Size:  119.5 KB

That's it, it's finished. It wasn't so bad. I used some lamps to light up my door , but i would recommend to do this install during the day if you can.
Name:  IMG_4421.jpg
Size:  100.8 KB

All door rattles are gone now, so this was well worth it for me. Good luck with your install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4401.jpg (119.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Evo1001; Feb 15, 2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Fixed images
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Discuss thread HERE!

Last edited by chaotichoax; Sep 1, 2009 at 09:49 AM.