Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

HOW-TO: Android Phone Data Logging and Video Overlay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOW-TO: Android Phone Data Logging and Video Overlay

I posted this in the Evo X HOWTO section since I drive a 10, but I guess it's just as helpful to anyone who tracks their car. I'll repost here since I know most of you probably don't pay attention to the other HOWTO sections

Original thread here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...o-overlay.html
------

With a standard Android cell phone and a car mount that doesn't cover the camera, you can record your track session and use an inexpensive app to log your lap times, gps locations, g-forces, and more. Total cost is $10

Here is an example video I made of one of my sessions using this method (2 parts):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHXysdudYGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6_gmYXeeNE

-------------------

Items required:
Android Cellphone - I used an HTC Incredible
TrackMaster by Trackaroo from Android market ($10)
Windows PC
RaceChrono2AVI software (free)
OPTIONAL: Free 3GP Video Converter (free)
Video Editing Software (I used Adobe Premiere 30-day demo. PowerDirector will also probably work)

------

At the track:
Before you get on the track, start up TrackMaster press the menu button when it gets to the main screen. Add information for your Profile, Vehicle, and Setup.

Next, from the main screen menu, go to Split Markers. Add a new Split Marker Set for your track. Enter the track name, and you'll be shown a satellite view map of your current location. Find the track and map out the split markers you wish to use around the track, starting at the finish line. Use enough markers so that the lines at least sort of represent the shape of the track. I suggest using a few more markers than the course has turns, using two markers for wider corners or sharp U-turn corners. Make sure your markers are in the center of the track, as if you put them off to one side and drive on the other side during a lap, it may not count that split marker and make you lose a lap. See the last couple minutes of my first video for an example of that!

Now you're ready to race! Once you're getting ready to grid your car, from the TrackMaster main screen, press the action/trackball button to start logging. It won't start until you've crossed the first split marker, which will likely occur after your warm-up lap. Before you get to grid, press the Home key to put TrackMaster in the background. Open your camera, switch to video mode, and start recording. Now go kick *** and take names When you're done, stop recording the video, go back to TrackMaster, and press the action button again to stop recording.

To view your lap times, split times, G-info, etc for the session, go to Sessions from the main menu and select your session.

-------
At home

Exporting Log Data
After your track day, the first thing you need to do is export all your sessions to CSV files using the RaceChrono format. To do this, go to the Sessions list and long-press the session you want to export until the option menu comes up. Select "Share", then select "Video Data". This will bring up a gmail email with the video data CSV file attached. Just mail it to yourself so you can get the file on your PC.

Creating Overlay Video
Open RaceChrono2AVI. This app is very buggy, so don't do anything experimental. If you're running Win7/Vista/2k3, I'd suggest right-clicking the program link and setting it to run in Windows XP SP2 comparability mode. This makes it much less crash-happy. Once it's going, click the "..." button by the ext box labeled "Racechrono CSV" and select the CSV file you just exported. Then in the drop downs, pick the first and last lap you'd like to replay data from. Then in the space above, drag and drop any components you want to show up in your overlay between the yellow frame at the top left. You can resize the frame as needed. i suggest setting the background and boarder of all your items to transparent. Once everything is where you want it, save your config in case it crashes (pretty common as you probably discovered by now). Now check the 'record avi' check box and push play. You'll have to select the video format you want to save. Microsoft Video worked fine for me, as do the Intel codecs. Play the output video to make sure it looks good and that a second is a actually a second Some formats play back too fast or too slow, which causes problems later. If it doesnt play back in WMP, try installing VLC Media Player and trying with it.
If you're still stuck, try this guide: http://www.scribd.com/doc/19200024/R...Software-Guide

Converting Your Video
Copy the videos you recorded from you phone to your PC. A lot of video editing software doesn't like android's 3GP format. If this applies to you, use Free 3GP Video Converter to convert them to mp4 or avi. This is pretty easy to figure out. Replay the final product and make sure the audio is in sync. If not, try exporting to a different format.

Overlaying Your Videos
Now the tricky part. Your video and your overlay won't be in sync. That is, yoru video starts when you pressed record on your phone, but your overlay doesn't start until the first time you pass the first split marker, which is much later. In your video editing software, you'll have to import your video and do any cropping or rotating you might need. Then import your overlay and position it wherever it needs to go. Then, you'll have to move your overlay in the timeline so that it starts at the right time, relative to where you video is. this is also a good time to trim your video and take out the parts before logging starts and after it ends. Once you have everything cleaned up and aligned, export the finish product to a format of your choosing.

Thats it! Enjoy
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Pretty cool. Hopefully you can turn the voice off. Seems kind of annoying
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

you can. i could hardly hear it with my helmet on and the windows down since the phone was making the noise, it was able to pick it up better than my ears
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems pretty cool maybe ill try it sometime
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:42 AM

good write up by the way!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice guide; I'm currently writing my own program that does pretty much the same thing as raceChrono2AVI, except it uses evoscan logs. It can also get acelerometer data from a Torque (Android app) log, and you can sync those 2 logs together to make the overlay that you then edit onto your onboard video.

Here's a quick video sample I recorded with my GoPro HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p1A-TPkQCU

Initially I was only making this for my own personnal use, but if there's enough interest I may release it publicly

Last edited by Raptord; Feb 25, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't have Facebook
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, it's supposed to be viewable by everyone...

Guess ill need to upload to youtube tomorrow
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:42 PM

google will take over the world soon =D they got their hands on everything
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Link to video fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p1A-TPkQCU
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Nice! The thing the setup I'm using is lacking is the ability to read my evoscan (or tactrix standalone) data.

I wish evoscan was able to log brake pedal position (for the 10 anyway, dunno if you can with the 8/9) so I can get a better idea of when I'm starting to break, and by how much. I feel like such a noob when I watch my track videos You see so much stuff that you don't realize you're doing at the time! I bet I'm breaking way to early and light before I ever really get on the brakes.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

i think the brake pedal address was found recently for the VIII or IX, so it probably exists for the X as well, just hasn't been found yet?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 06:12 PM

sweet

this is a nice app. thanks for the info.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

This is extremely cool! I am definitely going to try this out for the upcoming race season. Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
i think the brake pedal address was found recently for the VIII or IX, so it probably exists for the X as well, just hasn't been found yet?
do you have any more info on this? any threads discussing it?

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Android Phone Data Logging and Video Overlay