Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

1st mod for Stock Evo IX in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 1st mod for Stock Evo IX in NYC

I am planning to do my first mod on my stock Evo IX. I have been driving it for years but did not mod anything because of warranty. I am planning to install a HKS SSQV III Blow Off Valve w/ UICP . I will also install a Recirculation Kit for SSQV Kit with it.
Since this is the 1st mod for my Evo , I am wondering if BOV good for stock turbo as well as HKS turbo ? My plan is to install a turbo gaugenext then upgrade the turbo after BOV and turbo gauge (thinking of Defi-Link Meter ADVANCE BF Turbo Gauge with a Defi-Link ADVANCE SYSTEM ). The Reason for this is that I want to see how each mod will change my Evo's performance and the handling.
I think installing a BOV and turbo gauge is relatively easy to do and can be done in a locate shop. But upgrading turbo should require tuning the car ? I heard www.iveytune.com in NJ is pretty good. just not sure if I should have turbo upgrade in there or just locate shop is fine?
Any advise is welcome and appreciated!!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just get Ivey to do it since they are an HKS dealer.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:34 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you dont care about the warranty anymore and wana have real fun, get the basic boltons and raise the boost to 25psi-27psi depends and have some real fun.

gl Ivey ftw
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wouldn't bother with the bov for now.

i would get intake, exhaust, boost controller,fuel pump,piping, front mount, and raise it up a bit.

stock dv is good up untill 26 psi. ive seen some guys run 30.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:09 PM

Cool!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Please don't use the HKS BOV. For first mods start with a really good overhaul of basic maintenance. check your plugs, fuel filter, oils, battery, etc.. Then do the basic bolt ons next - exhaust, IC pipes. Then when you are ready for the bigger stuff go with injectors, fuel pump, a tune..
as stated above, the BOV doesn't need to be replaced for quite some time. But when you are ready, look at the Synapse. It's the last BOV you'll need to buy.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
I would spend money on finding where the Evo has boost leaks. Many people think its the BOV that is leaking but usually it something else that is leaking...
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wazzelby
Please don't use the HKS BOV. For first mods start with a really good overhaul of basic maintenance. check your plugs, fuel filter, oils, battery, etc.. Then do the basic bolt ons next - exhaust, IC pipes. Then when you are ready for the bigger stuff go with injectors, fuel pump, a tune..
as stated above, the BOV doesn't need to be replaced for quite some time. But when you are ready, look at the Synapse. It's the last BOV you'll need to buy.
What this guy said!......
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with Wazzleby. The HKS BOV are junk for our cars. The synapse is a great choice as well as a Tial QR either will work wonders. Not Saying the synapse is better than the tial just giving you the best two options out. First Mods Depending on your budget and goals is what it really comes down to? DD, Weekend Warrior, Drag Car, Time Attack. How much hp you are looking for, etc. Many Factors come into consideration when building a car and talking with your tuner about the part selection is probably your best bet! Tune is the most important MOD you could ever do and you be amazed how much power the car will pick up stock. Big Difference! But here would be my suggestions without knowing your goals.

Maintenance - Agree with Wazzleby here and maybe check trans, tcase, diff fluids, and timing components depending on mileage on the car.
Mods:
BR, ETS, STM 3inch TBE
Vibrant Air Filter (Stock intake Snorkel works very well untill SD or a bigger turbo)
Walbro 255
Hallman MBC
Boost Gauge
Wideband Gauge (must have this for tuning)
TUNE (MOST Important Mod)
Idk what your budget is but thats about $2,000 in parts not including labor.

And take a look into DynoTech Tuning. Not to far from NY! And Jamie over there does a great Job with the stock ecu. Check out my signature if you want more info on them!

HTH
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:30 PM

Hit the nail on the head.
Old May 2, 2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by TrackBeast
Bov's are always good for any turbo especially if they are recirculated. They help relieve pressure from the turbo, and keep the life on the turbo longer.
The idea of a BOV is to prevent pressurized air from going the opposite direction through the IC piping once you lift off and the throttle plate shuts. This causes compresssor surge, and can be harmful to a turbo at high levels of boost. But since the Evo (along with just about every other turbo car since...well for at least the last 30 years) comes with a factory fitted BOV, could you please explain how - at stock power levels - ANY type of aftermarket BOV be needed, or of any benefit whatsoever?

Last edited by arem; May 2, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:30 PM

Always do the maintence to make sure your vehicles running fine