Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

wats wrong with my evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wats wrong with my evo?

My evolution has been idling weird( its not stable....it jumps from 800 to around 1100) then when I try to go it dies like its out of gas my number 1 cylinder may not be firing correctly considering I can touch my header coming of that cylinder when its running and not get burnt. Not to mention it kinda sounds like a subie ( its so embarrassing.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
CEL on? If so what's the code?
Is it getting spark to that plug? Fuel?
Tried moving plugs/coils around?? Simple trouble shooting steps here...
Old May 20, 2012, 08:17 AM

^^^^ agree check all those but if it sounds like a subie sounds like you have a dead cylinder! Check spark and fuel on that cylinder then compression!
Old May 20, 2012, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow! crazy, same thing happened to my friends evo last night. the problem was....bad ignition coil, literally imploded!!
Old May 21, 2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
CEL on? If so what's the code?
Is it getting spark to that plug? Fuel?
Tried moving plugs/coils around?? Simple trouble shooting steps here...

No check engine light. It is getting fuel. And I have swapped the coil packs around and there all good. I haven't got the chance to check compression yet that will be ny next step.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:22 PM

hey man did you figure out what the problem was?
Old May 23, 2012, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
I would pull the head and check it for damage. Driving on it could cause even more damage.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by BIP_EVO8
hey man did you figure out what the problem was?

Still haven't figured it out...im doing a compression check this weekend. If there is no problem there ill be back to square one
Old May 24, 2012, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You said you are getting fuel and spark? One of them is definitely missing from the equation. If you are getting both and your exhaust manifold runner is cool to the touch then you're not getting combustion in that chamber.
How did you verify you're getting fuel? Did you move the injector to another cylinder? If notm try that and see what happens.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you still have a MAF and if so have you checked it? While it does sound like you have an issue on cylinder 1 you also said if you try to go it dies, thats almost exactly what happens when your maf is bad/unplugged or have a major boost leak i.e. tube completely popped off.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The dying when you try and go can also be a cam sensor gone bad.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by wazzelby
You said you are getting fuel and spark? One of them is definitely missing from the equation. If you are getting both and your exhaust manifold runner is cool to the touch then you're not getting combustion in that chamber.
How did you verify you're getting fuel? Did you move the injector to another cylinder? If notm try that and see what happens.
I bought brand new plugs put them in tried to start it and then pulled the plugs back out. All four smelled like fuel.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by vortico
Do you still have a MAF and if so have you checked it? While it does sound like you have an issue on cylinder 1 you also said if you try to go it dies, thats almost exactly what happens when your maf is bad/unplugged or have a major boost leak i.e. tube completely popped off.
And yes I have. Unplugged it no change. But before this current problem... I was having a maf problem so I just unplugged it and didn't have problems with it until now
Old May 25, 2012, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C-EVO8
And yes I have. Unplugged it no change. But before this current problem... I was having a maf problem so I just unplugged it and didn't have problems with it until now
Car ran fine with MAF disconnected? Did you convert over to speed density?
Old May 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Evo's will run fine without the maf to 3000 rpms or so when it cant add enough fuel since part of the equation is missing. But that normally results in a cel. If he had compression problems his motor will heat up to extraordinary temps becuase the oil is directly being heated by combustion. I accidentally left a coil unplugged after a timing job the other day and it was similar symptoms. When you swap coils you cant swap the long wires so i would shoot for those. Get a plug spark tester. Gap it properly ground it and connect it have a buddy turn you car over. If it doesnt arc swap coils again. If it still doesnt arc... then replace the wires. Also check the wiring harness for the coils. Check for breaks frays or torn shielding. Low or no voltage will cause issues.
I honestly can see this being internal issues unless youre not giving all the details.
Also swap the injectors themselves smelling the plugs isnt evidence of fuel. Its only 2 bolts to lift the rail. The injectors slide right in amd out of a stock rail. Takes me 5 minutes on stock and 10 on aftermarket rails. That will be a better test. If its clogged it might still spray but not enough to fuel combustion. Or be stuck open flooding the cylinder causing it to kill the combustion totally.

Quick Reply: wats wrong with my evo?