Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

HOW TO: Fix CT9A interior shifter cable bushing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HOW TO: Fix CT9A interior shifter cable bushing

Didn't really see anything around so thought I'd just post this up:

At some point you may find your first gear etc getting difficult to engage... if you shake your shifter and find you can engage the gear then you may have a failed bushing in the eyelet of the shifter cable

At some point the plastic gets brittle (apparently softer then the entire plastic surround) and causes the hole with the amount of play. For a temporary measure, get a plastic wheel valve cover and cut off the closed end; make sure of course it can fit first.

In my case, i had an old bushing from when I changed my cable bushings in the engine bay to work urethane.

clean up the brass portion of the bushing (a small razor or hobby knife will do) and measure the distance from the locking pin hole to the end of the bracket the cable slips on; it's roughly about half the old shifter bushing length. Cut it with a hacksaw and file the edges flat and smooth. U can also bevel the edges do it won't chaff the bracket or pin over time.

reinsert pin and bolt everything back together. And that's it. Happy Shifting.

Last edited by MISHI; Oct 16, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very interesting mod. I wonder if theres a polurothane bushing or anything available as a replacemnt.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a 5 speed only modification correct? The 6 speed linkage is setup differently. Didn't realize that until I took the center console off. Hmmm.....I have a hard time getting it into first and I've already got the underhood bushings installed not sure what else I can do to improve the shifting feel of the 6 speed linkage...