Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Alternator/Water Pump/Intake bracket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alternator/Water Pump/Intake bracket

Hey folks...the car has been taken apart for a while, and I've gone back to work on it.

However this bracket pictured here will not go back on whatsoever, line up, etc.

Sorry for such a novice question, but is there some trick I'm missing? I'm looking through my service manual and there's no steps for it or warnings like "don't remove this while there is tension on the belt."

Could I have messed up here by removing the bracket during a IM install or am I just totally missing something?

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 05:05 PM

To clarify, I didn’t use a spacer or anything. When I say it’s not lining up, it’s really really off. I took out the IM just to see and it’s baffling me.
Not the best picture but you can see that there’s basically no play there. It hits the water pump well before it can line up with the alternator.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 07:42 PM

SOLVED!!!!

To those having this issues, especially after taking time to get a ported IM back, etc...what had happened was the alternator (with tension on the belt) had shifted clockwise on it's axis towards the front. I relieved tension from the belt (http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/belt...ltremoval.html) (this is the same for the 9), and pushed the alternator back.

I then proceeded to bolt the bracket to the alternator, and reapplied belt tension which seated the alternator to the other bolting points correctly. Hope this helps someone in the future!
The following users liked this post:
uzumaki (Mar 25, 2018)
Old Mar 4, 2018, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice work and good job posting your solution.