Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

The proper way to do a balance shaft delete?? And head port question

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The proper way to do a balance shaft delete?? And head port question

Okay so I’m building my engine up now for a 900hp spec. 6466 turbo the works, what’s the best way to do a balance shaft delete? Should you remove just the rear one and put the stubby shaft in and leave the front one in and plug it or I’ve seen people remove both and tap the bearings out the front one and more then round as this is an oil gallery, surely doing that saves weight? What do you guys think?? Also should I port my head for that power with a 6466 or leave stock with big cams cheers
Old May 12, 2018, 09:06 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
It depends how much access you have shaft. If you can fully remove the shaft, knock out the bearings, 180 them and tap them back in then do that. If you cannot then just removing the belt to the rear shaft is also something you can do. The front shaft however has to come out. If you can access the front bearing and remove -> 180 -> reinstall then do that. If you cannot remove/reinstall the bearing then there are kits that keep the shaft but remove the weights that you can replace the front Balance shaft with. I have never personally seen any data that has convinced me that a replacement shaft is any better / worse then the stub, but I think it may still be a controversial topic.
Old May 12, 2018, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply mate yeah I’ll do it engines out the car so it’s easy access, also what do you think regarding the head porting??
Old May 12, 2018, 09:34 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Willpegley
Thanks for the reply mate yeah I’ll do it engines out the car so it’s easy access, also what do you think regarding the head porting??
If your goal is 900hp then yah you probably should port all the things