Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

E8 Mr hid to halogen conversion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E8 Mr hid to halogen conversion

Hey guys, im about to bring my 8mr through a roadworthy test and I need to remove the HIDs and replace with halogens temporarily so i can pass the roadworthy (illegal here as they dont have auto leveling or washers).
Is there an easy way to get halogens in there just so they work for the inspection without causing too much of an issue to get my HIDs back in there straight after?

Cheers!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Never seen a HID to halogen conversion using the original HID lamp shells, I suspect you would have to locate the full halogen lamps and swap . I have seen LED bulbs on ebay that can replace the d2s (needs a part no check) HID bulbs but that probably still gives you the same issue of needing washers and self levelling.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
If they're not auto-leveling then they weren't HID housings to begin with, they were just standard halogen housings. Just toss halogen bulbs in there and plug them in and you're good to go.

Edit: I mixed up auto-leveling and adjustable. I'm going to assume you mean they can't be HID if they're not adjustable (from inside the car)
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
If they're not auto-leveling then they weren't HID housings to begin with, they were just standard halogen housings. Just toss halogen bulbs in there and plug them in and you're good to go.

Edit: I mixed up auto-leveling and adjustable. I'm going to assume you mean they can't be HID if they're not adjustable (from inside the car)

Under the regulations from our government, it says auto leveling? By looking through other forums i dont think they have them or cleaners, but i know the lights are stock on the car. Im yet to pick it up, so I cannot confirm it doesn't have these features. Strictly everything i know is based off other forums, so it could be completely incorrect.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by macca916
Never seen a HID to halogen conversion using the original HID lamp shells, I suspect you would have to locate the full halogen lamps and swap . I have seen LED bulbs on ebay that can replace the d2s (needs a part no check) HID bulbs but that probably still gives you the same issue of needing washers and self levelling.
Yeah, I'll probably have to take out the whole HID system and try and get a halogen somehow connected to the plug that was connected to the HIDs
Old Mar 7, 2019, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Evo, unless I'm mistaken, never had auto-leveling HID's. The HID's have always had a roller-switch in the cabin for up/down adjustment while driving, but never automatically.

Washers are a no-go either
Old Mar 7, 2019, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Evo, unless I'm mistaken, never had auto-leveling HID's. The HID's have always had a roller-switch in the cabin for up/down adjustment while driving, but never automatically.

Washers are a no-go either
Yeah that's what i thought, thanks for the clarification!

anyone have any idea of a simple way to get halogens working in there just to pass a roadworthy?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry not a help to the original ask but I suspect your looking at fabbing customer mounts to retro fit a halogen into a HID housing. here is an example of the LED option for replacing the factory HID D2S bulb https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conversion-Power-Headlight-Repcement-Diamond/dp/B07BJYWKBS/ref=asc_df_B07BJYWKBS/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4583520383348503&psc=1
And for some historical info. My old IX GT saloon (JDM import) had self levelling HIDs but my current IX GT Wagon (JDM) only has static HIDs, suspect my original GT saloon had a lot of options ticked when originally specced that were only available on Jap market cars.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by macca916
Sorry not a help to the original ask but I suspect your looking at fabbing customer mounts to retro fit a halogen into a HID housing. here is an example of the LED option for replacing the factory HID D2S bulb https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conversion-Power-Headlight-Repcement-Diamond/dp/B07BJYWKBS/ref=asc_df_B07BJYWKBS/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4583520383348503&psc=1
And for some historical info. My old IX GT saloon (JDM import) had self levelling HIDs but my current IX GT Wagon (JDM) only has static HIDs, suspect my original GT saloon had a lot of options ticked when originally specced that were only available on Jap market cars.
Yeah thanks for the link and the info,
The car im about to buy is a UK import (FQ series) so im not entirely sure what it has and what it doesn't. In reference to the conversation, as i only plan to swap globes for the roadworthy getting a halogen working in the hid housing would he ideal, but im also considering disconnecting the whole hid system and somehow hooking up the wires to a halogen globe. The inspection is only classed as an ID so they SHOULD only pop my bonnet and check the engine number but no doubt theyll stick their nose in anything obvious.

off topic but about another issue im having is swapping back to stock exhaust. Ive had a ix exhaust offered to me to borrow for my viiimr inspection, but theres a lot of uncertainty of whether it will fit. Apparently the o2 sensors are in slightly different locations and im worries the cables wont reach...
any ideas?